2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2014 8:48 AM by Silvio Martinez

Period-Over-Period Growth Rate Calculations

Silvio Martinez

I am trying to calcuate period over period growth rate (Current period to Same period last year) by Business Unit and total. I have manged to calculate growth rate for 1 Business Unit at a time but when I unfilter to all Business Units it does not work.   In addition, I am not able to get a number for those growth rates when there is no Sales in current of prior periods.

Below is 1 Business Unit:

x.jpg

Below is for all Business Unit:

xx.jpg

Any ideas or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Period-Over-Period Growth Rate Calculations
          Jim Wahl

You can support multiple Business Units in the view by adjusting the table calc addressing / partitioning.

Since you want to calculate year-over-year grow, you want the addressing (the rows over which the table calc function operates) to be at the year level. You want to do this for every combination of Site and Business Unit, so those fields should be on the partitioning side.

Click the pill 2014 Growth > Compute Using > Year.

I usually find the table calculation dialog easier to use. To get to this, click the pill > Edit Table calculation. The dialog has a helpful message describing how the results will be calculated. You can also see/set the partitioning and addressing explicitly by selecting Compute Using > Advanced in this dialog.

2014-10-04_09-51-13.png

I am not able to get a number for those growth rates when there is no Sales in current of prior periods.

What do you want to show in these cases -- he growth rate when there are no sales is not really defined?

Jim

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Period-Over-Period Growth Rate Calculations
            Silvio Martinez

Thanks Jim.  That helps.  As far as "Not getting growth rates when there are no Sales in current for past periods",  I am looking to get either a 100%, 0%, or -100% growth based on the current and period Sales.

Example: 

• $225K Sales in 2014 and 0 Sales in 2013 will result in 100% growth
            • $0 Sales in 2014 and $0 Sales in 2013 will result in 0% growth
            • $0 Sales in 2014 and $100K Sales in 2013 will result in -100% growth

Also, how can I get Tableau to $0 instead of blanks for $0 Sales?

Thnaks in advance for your help.