1 2 3 Previous Next 79 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2018 7:31 AM by Joe Oppelt Branched to a new discussion.

We made a video of Sheet Swapping and Legend/Filter Popping on a dashboard.

Joe Oppelt

NOTICE (October 9, 2018):  Updated videos on swapping and popping can be found here:  New series of videos on swapping and popping on a dashboard

Matt Lutton and I recorded a video to demonstrate some techniques to swap sheets on a dashboard and to pop legends/filters.

You can see it here:

Sheet Swap and Pop in Tableau on Vimeo

We recorded it using the recording feature of FreeConferenceCall.com.  It's uploaded on Vimeo.

It was pretty simple to put it all together, and maybe others might consider doing some demo videos of other things that might help users here.

I welcome feedback, questions, comments.

Joe

• 1. Re: We made a video of Sheet Swapping and Legend/Filter Popping on a dashboard.
          Dan Huff

Nice video guys. Definitely a good trick to know

Dan

• 2. Re: We made a video of Sheet Swapping and Legend/Filter Popping on a dashboard.
            Matt Lutton

As an aside, we are aware that the cursor does not match up with each point/click in the video -- not exactly sure if that was my cursor, while Joe was demonstrating, or if it was Joe's cursor and there was some other quality issue at play.  But in the end, we thought the video demonstrated the basics of how you can set up layout containers to do some sheet swapping and/or legend/quick filter/parameter (or any object) popping in and out based on the sheet selected.

I will reiterate: this short video took only 30-40 minutes of our Saturday; I would love to see more users doing the same as I feel very strongly that videos are a great starting point of reference when learning new concepts, or workarounds, in Tableau. 

For me, I work alone with Tableau 95% of my work day.  I just love being involved with other awesome Tableau users like Joe Oppelt, who generously give of their time to help others understand some of the methods they use to solve problems in Tableau. 

Reach out to another Tableau user, if you're struggling to learn some aspect of Tableau.  The community is extremely generous with their time, in my experience.

Keep feedback coming, particularly if you'd never used this type of "trick" before (particularly the legend or quick filter popping in and out) and were able to apply it to a sample workbook or your own production work.  My hope is that with a video like this, and all the other resources available around sheet swapping, users will come up with new and creative ways to accomplish these types of end-goals.

Some other related links below (these are mentioned in the video as well)

Basic Sheet Selector using a Parameter and Layout Containers: Creating a Sheet Selector for a Dashboard | Tableau Software 

Ville Tyrväinen on the Tableau Forums (lots of threads with examples of tricks like these, using layout containers to pop and swap objects on a dashboard)

And Joshua Milligan's excellent blog post on Sheet Selection on Steroids in Tableau (this post shows that sheet selection can be initiated through other methods, like an Action Filter--so you could potentially combine what you learn from Joshua's post and the video to pop and swap objects based on an Action Filter, rather than a parameter.  No, I haven't done it myself but I know it can be done, its just a matter of setting the filtering up appropriately)

• 4. Re: We made a video of Sheet Swapping and Legend/Filter Popping on a dashboard.
              Matt Lutton

Joe Oppelt, Ville Tyrväinen, and Joshua Milligan:

You've all been mentioned and credited in my quick Saturday morning blog post:

Sheet Swapping and Popping with Joe Oppelt (and a Tip on Searching the Tableau Forums) | mluttonbi

Cheers! Feedback is welcomed, of course.  This was the first video where I was doing the recording on my end, and it was Joe's first attempt at demonstrating this live and in-person.  It may be a bit rough, but I think it will help users get started down a path toward sheet swapping and object popping, if it will help them in their daily work.

• 5. Re: We made a video of Sheet Swapping and Legend/Filter Popping on a dashboard.
                Ville Tyrväinen

Thank you Matthew :-)

I will soon show you another sheet swapping trick.

• 6. Re: We made a video of Sheet Swapping and Legend/Filter Popping on a dashboard.
                  Matt Lutton

Lets do a screen share! I'm sure I would learn a lot. But your workbooks are always helpful as well.

Cheers.

• 7. Re: We made a video of Sheet Swapping and Legend/Filter Popping on a dashboard.
                    Ville Tyrväinen

You will get good instructions this time I will show you how to build a sheet swapping trick for 20 sheets in one dashboard without blank space.

• 8. Re: We made a video of Sheet Swapping and Legend/Filter Popping on a dashboard.
                      Joe Oppelt

One way is by popping them (like we do with the legends in the video) instead of swapping them.

But, Ville, you have never failed to surprise me with newer and better magic.

I await the next course in this banquet.

• 9. Re: We made a video of Sheet Swapping and Legend/Filter Popping on a dashboard.
                        Ville Tyrväinen

I'll show how to combine these two old tricks and how to build and automate it in 15 min

• 10. Re: We made a video of Sheet Swapping and Legend/Filter Popping on a dashboard.
                          Keith Helfrich

Hi Guys,

I've been working with 'popping' sheets recently & have found it to be possible but really difficult to do nicely.  This is especially true if the dashboard is already a busy place (which most of the good ones are).

Not sure if you've had the same experience?  But I find there are a lot of factors that affect whether or not the 'popping' actually happens.  Some places where I've found the popping doesn't work:

- fixed height on the 'pop' sheet (in a vertical layout container)

- anywhere in a horizontal layout container

- other times, when I wasn't sure exactly why

Things gets worse, also, when you want to pop multiple floating layers.  In the end, it takes a *lot* of tinkering & trying to finally get all the little pixel perfect configurations & actions in place.

Best I was able to accomplish so far is in the "TC-14 Television" vis.  In 'Explore' mode, I'm popping the dot plot (& also a word cloud, after you click on a session).

One problem I'm facing at the moment, maybe you guys have a solution for ?

After I've 'popped' a worksheet out of the way, so that it's hidden from view, the vertical container still remains there.  And, that floating vertical container is in the way now, blocking folks from clicking on the worksheets underneath it.

Do you have a secret for 'popping' a sheet out of view, and also 'popping' the vertical container that it's in out of the way, as well, so the stuff underneath it is still clickable ?

Thanks!

Keith Helfrich | LinkedIn

Keith Helfrich | Twitter

• 11. Re: We made a video of Sheet Swapping and Legend/Filter Popping on a dashboard.
                            Joe Oppelt

Keith -- You can pop any object -- including containers.

Yes, if you have popped stuff under popped stuff, it can get tedious to get the layers right,  (I liken them to roof shingles.)

I have a dashboard that displays a special totals sheet floating over the line graph that is displayed beneath it.  User can select certain parameters to display one of 4 different line graphs (swapped), and there is a different totals sheet popped out for each respective line graph.  However there is an additional complication in that power-users (defined by user group) also get to see additional info with the totals, and I pop an additioanl shingle out between the totals sheet and the underlying line graph.  Getting that power-user sheet displayed with proper alignment was challenging.  What really helped me get it right was to change the float order temporarily so that the power-user shingle was on top.  I could see through the power-user shingle's container the shingle that would ultimately be the top shingle when I was done, and that allowed me to line it up where I wanted it to be.  Once I was satisfied, I re-set the float orders and it came out right.

Why move it to the top of the float order?  Because it is frustrating when I try to click on it to move it, and my cursor grabs something floating above it instead.

I also find that I do better on the fine-tuning adjustments by changing the floating container's coordinates by typing in new numbers rather than trying to drag them one more pixel.  I just don't have the nintendo wrist action to do that with the mouse.

Tedious, yes.  Satisfying when the work of art is done:  ABSOLUTELY.

• 12. Re: We made a video of Sheet Swapping and Legend/Filter Popping on a dashboard.
                              Keith Helfrich

Hi Joe,

I can certainly attest to the satisfaction of a battle hard won, once things are working correctly!  Would be much nicer, tho, if Tableau were to offer "popping" layout containers that simply did the job from square 1.

I've thought of another way to approach my current challenge.  So I'm going to give it a try. 

Curious, though, if you have any answers for the conundrum I've described ?

• After I've 'popped' a worksheet out of the way, so it's hidden from view, the vertical container still remains.  And, that floating vertical container is in the way now, blocking folks from clicking on the worksheets underneath it.

Any ideas ?

Thanks!

Keith Helfrich | LinkedIn

Keith Helfrich | Twitter

• 14. Re: We made a video of Sheet Swapping and Legend/Filter Popping on a dashboard.
                                Joe Oppelt

Yes, Keith, I found that to be the case as well.  All I can say to that, based on my own experience, is don't do that.

But let me offer this:  I have a dashboard that swaps a handful of sheets, and each sheet has its own filter.  If I align the filters perfectly on top of each other, only the top filter works because the top container blcks the filters below it.  You can see the filters OK, but you can't click on a valure.  I got around that by positioning the top filter a bit to the right of the next filter below it, and the third filter a bit more to the left...  This made the check boxes accessible, which was what really mattered in making the lower filters functional. You can still see the filter values that are positioned behind the upper containers, and you can check the boxes (or radio buttons, if that's what you need), and the user doesn't know trhe difference.

I'll say this.  I don't like to position any object on top of some other functioning object below it.  I described the line graph, and the totals sheets, but that works in my preferred design principles because the line will always run from lower left to upper right on that screen.  So the totals sheets are positioned in the upper left, and our business logo is positioned in the lower right, and nothing conflicts.  I can't think of a time when I have poisitioned a parameter or filter or legend over data in a sheet that the user might need to click on.  By convention at my job, we place those things outside the perimeter of the actual data sheet.

And if a sheet getds too busy, we just move some stuff to a second dashboard and create actions to go there (and come back.)

1 2 3 Previous Next