1 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next 98 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2015 7:34 AM by danny.lackey Go to original post
      • 60. Re: Need to create buffer around points.
        danny.lackey

Guess I am because I'm not seeing those anywhere in any of the calculated fields.  That's where they'd be, right?

• 61. Re: Need to create buffer around points.
          Richard Leeke

Yes. The version with those tricks in had:

Circle_Lon =

DEGREES(RADIANS(ATTR([Lon])) +  ATAN2(COS(ATTR([Buffer])/(5280 * 3958.756))-SIN(RADIANS(ATTR([Lat])))*SIN(RADIANS(ATTR([Circle_Lat]))), SIN(RADIANS(ATTR([Degree])))*SIN(ATTR([Buffer])/(5280 * 3958.756))*COS(RADIANS(ATTR([Lat]))))) - 90

separation =

ROUND(ACOS(COS(RADIANS(90-[Lat])) *COS(RADIANS(90-[Locations1_Lat])) +SIN(RADIANS(90-[Lat])) *SIN(RADIANS(90-[Locations1_Lat])) *COS(RADIANS([Lon]-[Locations1_Lon]))) * 3958.756 * 5280)

Conflict Details =

IF (ATTR([Separation]) < ATTR([Buffer] + [Locations1_Buffer])) AND (ATTR([Id]) < ATTR([Locations1_Id])) THEN

LOOKUP("Separation: " + STR(ROUND(ATTR([Separation]))) + " is less than required: " + STR(ATTR([Buffer] + [Locations1_Buffer])), 0)

ELSE

""

END

If you haven't got the ATTR() and LOOKUP() calls you are good.

• 62. Re: Need to create buffer around points.
            danny.lackey

Oh...the one thing I didn't check.  Yep, still using that version.  Modifying.  Thank you.

• 63. Re: Need to create buffer around points.
              Richard Leeke

I didn't know old threads could be closed - I certainly still get offered the chance to post a reply on that one.

Either repost your question on that one if you can or start a new thread. Ping me when you do and I'll answer it but I don't want to hijack this thread.

Sent from my phone - excuse the weird typos.

• 64. Re: Need to create buffer around points.
                danny.lackey

Still performing slower than I'd like.  Would you mind looking to see if there is anything obvious I could modify to further speed up (optimize) the interaction times?  This is without the map and I imagine it will further slow down when it's processing a big WMS map.  Currently using "Alternate View" as main dash.  TIA

EDIT - Noticed the version I attached with the data dummied runs a little faster than the version I'm using with more complex data (with spaces, hyphens, etc), but that's not really something I can do anything about...  Not sure if that's relevant or not...  In particular, it's the map of circles that respond slow to actions.

• 65. Re: Need to create buffer around points.
                  danny.lackey

Another question - with the current logic - should this be capable of locating conflicts between all 3 teams simultaneously?   Or would I need to bring in another instance of the table?

• 66. Re: Need to create buffer around points.
                    Richard Leeke

Current logic should cope with as many teams as you like.

I haven't looked at the speed of the latest version yet (I'm on my phone at the moment) but will take a look. I'm guessing you attached a packaged workbook containing just the extract. If so, it might be good to include the database as well in case I want to try changing the extract structure. The copy of the database you included before didn't have the end dates in.

No promises, but it's Saturday morning here and this sounds like a bit of relaxation to start the weekend, so I'll try to take a look quite soon.

Sent from my phone - excuse the weird typos.

• 67. Re: Need to create buffer around points.
                      danny.lackey

Relax first and foremost.  You've been busy on the boards!  haha  I edited the previous post and attached a zip file containing the twbx and accdb.  Thanks, again. 

• 68. Re: Need to create buffer around points.
                        danny.lackey

I'm asking because I have a situation (created to test this) where it seems to only be pairing in...pairs...

This is the logic that finds the ID pairs and it seems like it would only be able to match 2 together and the pairs I'm seeing seem to support that.  It does find them all, just doesn't create the 3 item pairing:

IF ([Id] < [CM_DATA1_Id]) THEN

STR([Id]) + " / " + STR([CM_DATA1_Id])

ELSE

STR([CM_DATA1_Id]) + " / " + STR([Id])

END

IF ([Id] < [CM_DATA1_Id]) THEN
                            STR([Id]) + " / " + STR([CM_DATA1_Id])
                        ELSE
                            STR([CM_DATA1_Id]) + " / " + STR([Id])
                        END

• 69. Re: Need to create buffer around points.
                          Richard Leeke

I see what you mean. Yes, it only deals with pairs, but will find pairs of conflicts involving any of the teams. Trying to do triplets would slow it down hugely and make for a vast data extract (600 x 600 x 600 rows).

• 70. Re: Need to create buffer around points.
                            Richard Leeke

I had a bit of a look at the speed of interactions.

The slow thing is drawing or highlighting the circles on the map. There are 250,000 marks if you have "(All)" selected in the Plants parameter, 165,000 for Plant2. It seems to be pretty much a matter of rendering time. So I'm pretty sure it won't get quicker (in fact almost certainly noticeably slower) if you connect live to Access.

If you reduce the date filters down to a smaller date range and limit the number of jobs shown (i.e. show less circles) it is nice and quick.

Without understanding how you need to work it's hard to say, but I'd have thought that you might be able to filter to a range of two weeks or a month and find all jobs that overlap with that date range. Would that work for what you are doing? BTW, I would probably have a start date parameter and a duration parameter (I think I did that in one of the example I posted). That way you can just have a slider for the date and leave the duration of the range the same, rather than having to adjust two dates.

• 71. Re: Need to create buffer around points.
                              danny.lackey

Thank you for reviewing.  The customer wanted to be able to find work that overlaps within the start and end date ranges as you suggested and I tried to use a similar logic to the T/F logic that finds date conflicts:

([START_DTE] >= [CM_DATA1_START_DTE] AND [START_DTE] <= [CM_DATA1_END_DTE]) OR

([END_DTE] >= [CM_DATA1_START_DTE] AND [END_DTE] <= [CM_DATA1_END_DTE])

, but it wouldn't accept any of them as date range filter calculations I came up with.  I ended up dropping START DTE into the filter shelf and using condition: [START_DTE]>=[p.START_DTE]-8 and END DTE into the filter shelf with [END_DTE]<=[p.END_DTE]+8.  Most jobs span 7 days or less, but obviously, this would miss anything that spanned a longer time within that range.  I'll suggest the slider w/duration example to the customer.  I don't recall if that version caught date overlaps or not - I think we discussed that capability post.

• 72. Re: Need to create buffer around points.
                                danny.lackey

Added duration slider and it has really improved performance.  Good call.

Experiencing something weird...  I was recently asked to change my source for "Crew1" data.  I made the change in Access and it should have been seamless in Tableau since the data connection didn't change and the data is still formatted the same way.  However, I'm seeing this weird thing where the conflict pairs aren't showing both records anymore.  Keep in mind I made no change in Tableau pre or post this data change.

For example, on the "Alternate View" tab, the "Zoom to Conflict" section had previously showed ID CONFLICT in pairs with a record for each conflict in the pair - pairs being for ID 565 & 577 for Plant 2.  This same is true on an individual basis in the "Crew2 Schedule" (orange) as well.  The Crew1 schedule is showing their side of the conflict, but not Crew2.  There's clearly a conflict, but the Crew2 aspect isn't displaying.  I included the db in case it provides any clues.  I was almost able to call this one complete until this happened.  Hopefully my last question...  

TIA

• 73. Re: Need to create buffer around points.
                                  Richard Leeke

Will take a look when I get a moment.

• 74. Re: Need to create buffer around points.
                                    danny.lackey

eems like this occurs when crews are working on different wells - just shows 1 record.  However, if 2 different crews are working on the same well, it shows 2 records (which is what I want, but even if the wells are different).

Particularly, this is good because I can select the highest level item (id conflict pair) and via action it zooms to the conflict on the map filtering out everything else..  If it's just a single record and I select it, it only shows 1 of the pair.  So, I'm just trying to understand how I can get the record to break apart into two showing each conflict.  This may be the same reason the schedule piece for Crew2's work isn't showing any conflicts....

Here is a pic of a more recent data refresh showing how if different crews are working the same well, it breaks it apart, but not if different wells are being worked.

PairExample.jpg

1 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next