2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2016 3:04 PM by Kaz Shakir

Using Multiple Dimensions Under One Filter

Peter Schoenbauer

Looking for some help creating a filter.  Issue is I am trying to place multiple dimensions under one filter so that it works just as if all the data was under one dimension.

I have seen a few similar requests that seem to come close to what I want.  But they seem to have an on/off feature, where I want to be able to toggle multiple items just as in a multiple value drop down or list filter.  Articles I've seen so far are these:

http://kb.tableausoftware.com/articles/knowledgebase/filtering-multiple-dimensions-using-parameters

http://vizwiz.blogspot.com/2012/06/create-global-filter-in-tableau-across.html

Filtering Multiple Data Sources Using Parameters in Tableau 6 | InterWorks, Inc.

All of these seem to suggest creating a Parameter and then a Calculated Field.  I've tried that in the attached but as you will see I can get one dimension into the filter but not additional ones.  (I think my calculation in my calculated field needs some work.)  Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Using Multiple Dimensions Under One Filter
          Gautam C

You need to code a case condition in your calculated field

case [Dimension parameter]

when 'Ship Mode' then [Ship Mode]

when 'Segment' then [Segment]

END

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Using Multiple Dimensions Under One Filter
            Kaz Shakir

I may not understand your data completely, but here's a couple of suggestions.

First, you might try creating a calculated field called "Show Item" that would look something like this:

CASE [Parameters].[Race Distances]

WHEN "Half" THEN IF [Half]="Half" THEN 1 ELSE 0 END

WHEN "M&H" THEN IF [M&H]="M&H" THEN 1 ELSE 0 END

WHEN "Marathon" THEN IF [Marathon]="Marathon" THEN 1 ELSE 0 END

WHEN "Relay" THEN IF [Relay]="Relay" THEN 1 ELSE 0 END

WHEN "Wheel" THEN IF [Wheelchair]="Wheel" THEN 1 ELSE 0 END

WHEN "Other" THEN IF [Other]="Other" THEN 1 ELSE 0 END

WHEN "All" THEN 1

END

And convert it to a "Discrete" item, and to a "Dimension", and then place it on your Filter shelf, and check only the box next to 1 (so you are only showing the items that have a 1 not the the 0).  Then right click your Race Distances parameter, and select "Show Parameter Control."  Now when you change the item in the parameter control, the map should update.

Another solution would be to create a single column in your data-source to indicate the type of race, rather than having a seperate column for each type of race.  If it's possible to change your data-source, then I think I would prefer this alternative, but either way it should work.

2 of 2 people found this helpful