2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2014 8:27 AM by jerry reimer

Map Formatting

jerry reimer

I'm trying to change the formatting of a filled map in Tableau. I don't know if Tableau can do the formatting that I want to do, but if it can, I don't know how to do it, and I use Tableau quite a bit.

If anyone could tell me how to change the font of the names on the states/countries themselves (not the label in the marks card, but the name on the location itself) and how to not highlight the whole state/country when the user clicks on it (rather than highlighting the state, maybe the state's borders are highlight or maybe the state is highlighted but only transparently, so you can still see through it), I'd really appreciate it.

• 1. Re: Map Formatting
          Shawn Wallwork

Jerry welcome to the forums! Not sure you're going to like the answer but here it it....

As of 8.2 Tableau serves up the background map tiles from either their company servers running OpenStreetMap, or if you select the Tableau Classic, you'll get the tiles from Urban Mapping (for free, at least until January, after that the picture is unclear, unless UM and T have come to a recent agreement). These two background map layers can NOT be formatted (font-wise) from within Tableau. However, both sources use a TMS file to send the meta data that tells the map server what to send back. Hacking either of these files will probably give you some control over fonts, but it is not a straightforward process. When I hacked the Urban Mapping TMS, I had to get a lot of help from Jake (great guy) because the labels and roads were grouped together, so I had to get the syntax needed to pull them apart and format them separately. While I did successfully get what I was looking for (darker roads that can be seen through filled maps), when 8.2 was released it broke the hack. So since this is a hack (not supported by Tableau), I can't really recommend hacking the TMS.

You do have the option of creating your own WMS server, formatting everything the way you want and then connecting to it instead of the out-of-the-box solution. alan.walker has had a great deal of success using this technique. It's a bit of work to create and maintain, but he can speak to that better than I can.

I can't really think of a workaround for the way you want 'highlighting' to work. That's the default behavior, and it just really is the way it is. There might be something you could do by hacking the XML, but again it's a hack, so buyer beware.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

--Shawn

• 2. Re: Map Formatting
            jerry reimer

No worries. Thanks for telling me the bitter truth I didn't want to accept