1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 1, 2014 6:54 AM by Steve Martin

Conversion Rate as a Metric

Sabrina Matrullo

Hey All,

Kind of new to Tableau so sorry for the newbie question : )

B and A being two different URLs, I'm trying to define a Conversion Rate From A to B as a Metric through the calculated field feature.

I managed to calculate this Conversion Rate already through the "Table Calculation" feature, but I would like to have this Metric in my "Measures" tab to be able to use it in a more flexible way.

My data set looks like this:

DateMarketing TypeDevice typeFunnel stepNumber of Visits
      01-Jul-14xxxpppaaa1150
      01-Jul-14yyymmmbbb120
      01-Jul-14zzznnnccc16

My approach was to first define Conversions as Metrics, through the "Calculated Field" feature, following this formula:

Conversions to aaa = IF [Funnel step] = "aaa" THEN [Number of Visits] END

Conversions to bbb= IF [Funnel step] = "bbb" THEN [Number of Visits] END

Which plainly worked.

Then I tried something like:

Conversion Rate From aaa to bbb = Conversions to bbb / Conversions to aaa

Which does not work at all - always NULL, as I guess,  ([Funnel step] = "aaa" and  [Funnel step] = "bbb") is never TRUE.... 

I guess I need to use some aggregation function here, but I don't know how to.

Any idea someone ?

Many thanks

Sabrina

• 1. Re: Conversion Rate as a Metric
          Steve Martin

Hi Sabrina,

Looks like you may just need to be wrapping your measure into Sum() functions so:

Conversions to aaa = IF [Funnel step] = "aaa" THEN [Number of Visits] END

Becomes

Conversions to aaa = IF [Funnel step] = "aaa" THEN Sum([Number of Visits]) END

Please can you upload your workbook so we can see where you are at so far.

nb For the future, always try to upload a packaged workbook (.twbx) file pref using Superstore Sales then we get on it a lot quicker.

Steve