2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2014 10:20 AM by Kevin Doherty

Custom Geocoding: Adding a Role

Kevin Doherty

I am hoping to get some input on how to setup adding a new role to the existing Geocode hierarchy in Tableau.

For example the existing Tableau hierarchy goes from Country to State. I have a table with a value for Sub-Region. This would fall in between the Country and State. So NJ/NY would roll to Northeast.

I was trying to follow the below link..

Adding New Roles

I created a CSV file with Country (Name), Sub-Region, State. Do I need to add the Longitude/Latitude to this as it should be just by the State.

Is this type of request considered under the Custom Geocode examples?

Any input would be appreciated!

• 1. Re: Custom Geocoding: Adding a Role
          Ben Neville

If your Sub-Regions are divided by State, you shouldn't need to have lat/long, as States have their own inherent, recognized lat/longs.

You should just be able to add the Sub-Region column to your data and color/total by this dimension.

• 2. Re: Custom Geocoding: Adding a Role
            Kevin Doherty

Our Sub-Regions dimension doesn't have State, it goes from Sub-Regions to Sites. A Site could be one or more cities, for instance we have a Site OPS which is Orange County, Palo Veres and San Diege in California.

So I was trying to have the GeoCode show the breakout by State which is why I was initially creating the file. To map the States to the applicable Sub-Region so someone can report to the Sub-Region level and show the States on the map.