1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next 139 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2017 1:11 PM by Clifton Farr Go to original post
      • 30. Re: Map Utility Downloads
        Krete Jalakas

Thank you so much for this opportunity. I have used TabGeoHack and I love it.

I tried now in Tableau 9 and I have real performance issue. It has become so slow when using my Local Data generated by TabGeoHack. Has anybody experienced that?

I downloaded new TabGeoHack version and used that for Tableau 9 and I didn't get any errors.

I am using Tableau 9.0.2 and My Local Data keeps only my country information 42 MB

• 31. Re: Map Utility Downloads
          Richard Leeke

Sorry to hear it's slow.

I have to confess that I haven't touched this for many months now - the last time was when I got it working again with 9.0, but I only got it going on one or two small sample files, I didn't have time to do any comprehensive testing.

I'd been thinking that there had been remarkably little activity on this thread or the Grow Your Own Filled Maps one. I think you're about the first person to post since version 9.0 came out. I'd been hoping that that meant it was all working fine.

Not sure when I'll get a chance to take a look - and even if I can reproduce the problem there isn't likely to be much I can do about it, I'm afraid.

• 32. Re: Map Utility Downloads
            Justice Monakk

Hi Rich.

I'm one of your biggest fans for developing such a utility.

I was trying to use an earlier version but without success. I searched the community for solutions but none helped.

Then this morning I came across this updated version of the Tabgeohack and it seems to have solved most of the issues I was having earlier.

But there's one last thing.

When I issue the tabgeohack --shapes command, I get the following error message

_ _

C:\Data\TabGeoHack>tabgeohack --shapes constmap.yml

Generating shapes...

Constituency... added 275 rows with a total of 49061 points (min: 14, avg: 1

78, max: 2194)

Overall totals: 275 rows, 49061 points

Purging unwanted geocoding data...

Processing role: Country

- Keeping: 'Ghana'

Processing role:   GhRegion

Processing role:     GhConst

Undefined name

-Dynamic SQL Error

-SQL error code = -204

-Table unknown

-GhRegion

-At line 5, column 25 at tabgeohack.pl line 1411

_ _

Can you please show me how to resolve this to get my shapes into Tableau???

NOTE: I'm using Tableau 9 on Windows 8.0 and TabGeoHack v2.5 if that will help

Also attached is a zip file of my shapefiles and the gdal file

Thank you @Richard Leeke

• 33. Re: Map Utility Downloads
              Richard Leeke

I'll take a look and get back to you.

• 34. Re: Map Utility Downloads
                Justice Monakk

I'm patiently waiting and looking forward.

I'm hoping you find sometime over the weekend to address this for me because I badly need it to get things going.

Thanks Rich

• 35. Re: Map Utility Downloads
                  Martin S.

Did also a check on Win7, Tableau 9.0:

Generating shapes...

MyAreaCode... added 1 rows with a total of 5 points (min: 5, avg: 5, max: 5)

Overall totals: 1 rows, 5 points

Purging unwanted geocoding data...

Use of uninitialized value $total_deleted in concatenation (.) or string at tabg

eohack.pl line 297.

Total rows deleted:

Compressing geocoding D/B...done

[...]

Could you check error in line 297 which occurs on executing tabgeohack --shapes? Can you add a check for unitialized $total_deleted? In my case, I do not purge any data.

Nevertheless import runs through and I can use my new geographic role, but area is not displayed. So, next error is waiting ;-)

• 36. Re: Map Utility Downloads
                    Richard Leeke

That's very odd - the variable $total_deleted is initialised to zero on the line before the line where the error is reported. I think I'll need to be able to reproduce the problem to track it down.

The only thing I can think is that there is something in the configuration to do with purging unwanted roles causing an error in trying to do the purge and that results in the error you are seeing reported. Maybe you don't want anything purged and there's something about the way you have disabled that?

If you could post a copy of your YAML configuration file plus a copy of your shape files I'll try to take a look. Also include a screenshot or a packaged workbook showing what you mean about area not being displayed.

• 37. Re: Map Utility Downloads
                      Martin S.

I made a small example with 1 polygon (4 corners): Area_Name.zip. I tested it with the polygon approach which draws the area.

Regarding the error: It was accidently a type error in configuration file (#purge_roles_exceptions).

But question is: how do I retain builtin-geocoding? Template documentation describes:

Simply comment out the "Country:" line below to retain all built-in geocoding.

When I comment it out, shape process is not running through until the end.

Maybe you can check what is going wrong? In geocoding approach area is still not drawn.

• 38. Re: Map Utility Downloads
                        Richard Leeke

I'll take a look when I get a chance. Will try to have a quick look tonight (NZ time), but no promises.

• 39. Re: Map Utility Downloads
                          Martin S.

Ok, I got it working. Some lessons learned

- Take care to switch to region setting "US" (in Tableau as well as system region settings -> formats)

* Otherwise coordinates will probably contain "null" values.

- Take care that csv file in folder "Custom Geocoding Files" starts with the "unique id" as first column.

* Otherwise you have to use schema.ini file to define your columns by-hand which is not very comfortable.

- "generate_unique_id: true" currently adds "unique id" to second column. This should be changed in tabgeohack to avoid problems.

Question regarding not purging built-in data is still open.

• 40. Re: Map Utility Downloads
                            Richard Leeke

Glad you got it going and thanks for reporting back.

Will look at your other question when I get a chance...

• 41. Re: Map Utility Downloads
                              Richard Leeke

Hi Martin, sorry to take a while to get back to you on your questions. I'll try to comment on the questions and points you raised in all of your posts, though there are a couple of points where I'm not quite clear what you mean, so I've got some follow-up questions.

The error message about the uninitialised variable is even more odd than I said the other day. Like I said, I unconditionally initialise that to zero immediately before the line where the error happens. Using your sample, if I change your configuration file so that it doesn't delete any rows I get exactly the same error message as you when I run the compiled version of tabgeohack. But when I run it from the development environment and debug into it it works fine and doesn't report an error.

The error appears to be completely benign - the custom shape is imported correctly with none of the default Tableau data affected, so it may just have to be a quirk that you learn to put up with. I could spend some time experimenting with changes to see if I can make the error go away - but as I don't understand what is going on that could be a pretty tedious game of trial and error.

The instructions in the template file about how to retain all built-in geocoding are wrong, which is why you were getting an error on the --shapes command when you had commented out Country. You actually need to remove the 'purge_roles_exceptions:' entry completely (i.e. comment out 'purge_roles_exceptions:' as well as 'Country:'. Sorry about that. I'll fix that in the template and publish a new version at some point.

I've just written quite a long response to Jatin in this post of the "Grow Your Own Filled Maps" thread which explains all about the different options for keeping or purging some or all of the built-in geocoding. Have a read of that - hopefully that is a bit clearer than the original documentation.

I'm not sure what you mean about area not being displayed. I imported your sample shape using your config file, adjusted to retain built-in geocoding and was able to display your shape overlayed over Tableau's boundary for Sweden:

Capture.PNG

To do that I had to set the viz up to use a dual axis, so I've attached a packaged workbook you can look at to see what I did. (I purged all countries except Sweden to make the packaged workbook size manageable.) I also attached config files showing how to keep all geocoding and also one to just keep Sweden.

On your 'lessons learned':

- Take care to switch to region setting "US" (in Tableau as well as system region settings -> formats)

* Otherwise coordinates will probably contain "null" values.

Yes. I did spend a bit of time trying to cope with other country settings when I was writing this - but it all got too hard. I'm using various different libraries, all of which seem to handle country settings differently and I didn't really understand it - so I took the easy route I'm afraid. I just wrote this as a bit of fun to see if I could make it work. If it was a commercial product I'd have to get it sorted, of course.

- Take care that csv file in folder "Custom Geocoding Files" starts with the "unique id" as first column.

* Otherwise you have to use schema.ini file to define your columns by-hand which is not very comfortable.

I don't understand what you mean by this comment. The order of fields in the custom geocoding CSV files doesn't have any impact on anything as far as I'm aware - though if you can put an example together showing otherwise I'll take a look.

- "generate_unique_id: true" currently adds "unique id" to second column. This should be changed in tabgeohack to avoid problems.

Again, I'm not sure what you mean. That option is only needed if your shape file doesn't have a unique column of it's own that you can reference, by the way.

Let me know how you get on.

• 42. Re: Map Utility Downloads
                                Richard Leeke

OK, I got to the bottom of the mysterious error message when nothing is purged. It turns out that someone else had reported that error back in March and I had fixed it at the time - but never got around to building and deploying the new version. So I was debugging the fixed version but running the old version of the executable! Beginner's mistake.

I've just published version 2.0.6 which includes that fix plus a correction to the comment in the template about how to retain all built-in geocoding.

• 43. Re: Map Utility Downloads
                                  Ilona Vierveijzer

Hi Richard,

We've been using tabgeohack for awhile now, and are very happy with it. Thanks for all the work!

I've just downloaded and tried version 2.0.6 and wanted to report a small bug: When trying to import the generated .csv file as custom geocoding in Tableau, I got an error saying that the fields 'Latitude' and 'Longitude' could not be found. Changing the delimiter from ',' to ';' solved the problem though, so not a major issue. Maybe next versions could automatically use ';' as the csv delimiter to avoid this?

Ilona

• 44. Re: Map Utility Downloads
                                    Richard Leeke

Unless I'm missing something that behaviour hasn't changed with the new release - I'm pretty sure it has always behaved like that. I did explain in the documentation that I had tried unsuccessfully to cope with multi-lingual support, so unfortunately you do have to work around a few quirks like this.

There's actually a surprising amount of complexity in coping with different country settings - and I never managed to get some of the components I'm using to play nicely together with different settings.

1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next