2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2014 1:30 PM by Ben Neville

Need info on the below

pavitra k

Hello All,

My client bought the below things from tableau just couple of days back and asking me to create architecture ... As i am not admin or architect but need to give inputs on this... so please provide me some info on my some of the below queries

Product name Quantity
      Server - web client Interactor - Maintenance5No Product key
      Server - web client Interactor - License5Yes
      Desktop- Professional user - licence2Yes
      Desktop- Professional user - Maintenance2No Product key

Generally in previous company -- Server ---> Desktop profilessionals

---->Reader

Q1) But the above i am not seen server licensing part ... is the server-web client lience is the server license ? or we need to buy server license separte ?

Q2)  If we need to buy server license then i need to install tableau desktop software on all the laptops where i use desktop proessional  license key need to be used in two laptops and other 5 with server-webclient interactor license?

Q3) please share me the difference between interactor and desktop

Q4) suggestion on diagrams on archtecture with figures along with some info will be highly useful...

Q5) Is 16 GB sufficient for 25 users

Any PPT which explains all the in-out basics on standalone and server configurations is highly appreciated

please share me your thoughts

• 1. Re: Need info on the below
          Toby Erkson

You really need to contact a sales representative, they will be able to answer your questions.  There are many variables involved so it's not as simple as it seems.  For example, Q5 depends on how often the users ping the server (concurrency), how big their reports are, whether reports are processed on the server or client, number of extracts and subscriptions being executed (how long do they take, how often do they run, how big are they, etc.), etc.

What works for one of us may not work for another.

• 2. Re: Need info on the below
            Ben Neville

First, I'll say that Administrator Guide is a great place to start, or the downloadable PDF at http://downloads.tableausoftware.com/quickstart/server-guides/en-us/server_admin82.pdf.

With those things being said, I'll say that this is a very broad question, and if you were to contact a Tableau sales representative or consultant in an official capacity, they could talk to you about the above for a long while to find out what works best for you, and communicate useful information the whole time. As such, trying to sum it up in a small forum post doesn't really address your questions or all of the needed answers adequately. I'm going to try to do it anyway.

1. There are 2 separate license types - a core and a named user. The named user is a pay-per user basis, while the core is a pay-per physical core license. For the size you're talking (25 users) the user model is the way to go, and does have a license key associated with it. Your client should have a customer portal that they can log into (http://www.tableausoftware.com --> Support --> Customer Portal). If they can't get into the portal, you may want to contact your sales rep for access. They should be able to assist. You can find your key once in the portal.

2. I had a bit of difficulty understanding this question, but the licenses should work as following:

a. Install the Desktop Licenses on the machines of people that will be creating/authoring reports.

b. The Server Licenses are part of your License key - you can assign them in your customer portal to keep track, but the bottom line is that you have 25 users you can allocate. All you need to do is create a new user on your server (or pull them in from active directory), and let the user know they are enabled on the server, and give them the username/pass if necessary.

3. Interactor on your invoice refers to a user that can log into your server to view reports. Desktop refers to a user that can install and use the Tableau Desktop tool to do report creation.

4. This really depends on #5, your use case, and a whole host of factors, but look in the server admin guide for some guidance here.

5. This is only part of the puzzle. When I scale servers, there are a number of factors that come into play, but core count and RAM are the most important. We generally estimate 20% concurrency to be on the safe side. In your instance, we'll say 4-5 users, though in small deployments, concurrency is often higher. 16gb seems reasonable - couldn't hurt to go a bit higher, but that's definitely reasonable. I would recommend the core count be at least 4 cores. 32 or 64 bit also comes into play. You can see more of the technical specs at All Technical Specifications | Tableau Software.

You mentioned architecture in an earlier question - I'm not sure what you are referring to as architecture, whether that is Tableau process architecture, architecture for distributing a server, architecture of how your physical server should look, etc. As always, I refer you back to my original disclaimer which is advice here is very limited in scope, and you could probably spend hours discussing all of these things in detail.