8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2014 10:16 AM by praveen p

Repeat users

praveen p

Hi All,

I am trying to see how many repeat users have come in, broken down by MONTH.

In my case emailid who are having more than one booking id are repeat customer

I tried the following formula but not sure if I am doing it right

if count(bookingid)>1 then count(bookingid)end

I would like to see this in a line chart

Please suggest

Attached a sample twbx

Thanks,

Praveen

• 1. Re: Repeat users
          vishwanath Pendyala

Hi Praveen

I was able to calcualte the count for each users  . Please see the workbook attached. Let me know what are you trying to visualise

Thanks

Karthik

• 2. Re: Repeat users
            praveen p

Hi Karthik,

Thanks for your help

I was able to figure out count for each users.

I would like to see this in a line chart with month on column and repeat users count on rows some thing like the below pic

repeat.jpg

Thanks,

Praveen

• 3. Re: Repeat users
              Matt Lutton

Didn't this question get answered once already?  check users, How to create month on month increment, etc.  It appears you have several threads related to this same question--yet, many of those questions are marked as "answered" so I'm a bit confused by what you're looking for.

The user you pointed out with 3 bookingIDs would be considered a "repeat user" within that month--is that what you want to identify, or are you hoping to count new users by month--meaning, they have a bookingID in one month, and later have another?

• 4. Re: Repeat users
                praveen p

Hi Matthew,

Sorry if I am making any confusion with multiple posts

All these posts are different things i am trying on

Yes I am trying to show any users who is having booking id more than one

like the example provided 3 bookingIDs would be considered a "repeat user" within that month

So this way any user having bookingIDs more than 1 is a repeat user and would like to see them monthly

We can either use countd(bookingid) or count(emailid) in the filter start from 2 which gives us list of repeat users

The problem is with line chart It is so clumsy when taking emailid in detail level

So can we show the line chart like the snapshot provided Is it possible

Thanks,

Praveen

• 5. Re: Repeat users
                  Matt Lutton

I'm not clear on your end goal.  What are you hoping to illustrate in the line chart?

When you say "repeat users by month", I think of users who had a bookingID in one month, and then later had another bookingID in another month.  But by your definition, you are identifying users within each month who made more than one purchase.  That's a different type of problem.

So which are you looking for?  Repeat users by month, or users that made more than one purchase in a month?  And how do you want this data displayed?  You say you want a line chart, but what should the line chart represent?  Counts of "users with more than one purchase in the month"?  Or do you want something else?

I think that once you clarify your goal, you'll be far more likely to get accurate help.  See also:

Posting a Perfect Question

• 6. Re: Repeat users
                    Matt Lutton

I'm also not sure how well a line chart will represent this data--you only have subsequent month entries for a few emailIDs, so I'm not clear on what you're hoping to achieve in a line chart with so little data.

• 7. Re: Repeat users
                      vishwanath Pendyala

Hi Praveen

From my understanding I see that you are trying to get the user based on the number of booking greater than 2 and take the count of the email id as one , as per the logic I see there are 7321 repeated users in the dataset you have provided in the sample.  The aggregation level doesnt allow you to see the data in a line graph. I assume this logic should be handled in the ETL .

As Mathew Suggested please be specific with what you wanted to achieve, it will be really hard to understand your usecase and help.

Thanks

Karthik

• 8. Re: Repeat users
                        praveen p

Hi Karthik,

Sorry for the delay in response

Thanks for your inputs I would opt for bar chart

however I am facing issue while displaying results I would like to see total number of emailid's value on top of each bar as i am trying this for month over month

Tried using reference lines,size but I am not able to achieve it its showing just the sum(bookingid)

Thanks,

Praveen