4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2014 5:30 AM by Kristian DiGaetano

How do I sort down and then across columns?

Kristian DiGaetano

I am looking to sort down columns then across.  For instance in the attached file I am looking to sort the small sizes first then keeping that order sort mediums then large, etc...  I am currently sorting the Color / Pack ID field by the Pack_config field.  It seems to be sorting by the second column only.  For instance in the attached view you have the following columns:

1     1

1     1

1     2     1

2     3     1

3     3     2

3     3     2

2     3     1

4     4     3

4     4     2

3     4     2

3     4     2

etc...

It should be:

1     1

1     1

1     2     1

2     3     1

2     3     1

3     3     2

3     3     2

3     4     2

3     4     2

4     4     2

4     4     3

I have checked other similar discussions, but can't put their solutions together with mine...  Any help would be appreciated.

Kristian

• 1. Re: How do I sort down and then across columns?
          Ben Neville

Kristian - unfortunately we can't see this workbook as it connects to your Oracle DB, which is (rightfully) password protected.

As such, we're flying a bit blind, but are your columns determined by members of a dimension, or are they different measure names?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 3. Re: How do I sort down and then across columns?
            Ben Neville

I think you have specifically sorted on the second column. Is there a sort icon on the second column?

Sort Icon.jpg

What you need to do is click the dropdown on your Color/Pack ID pill on your rows shelf, select sort, specift Field, pick your measure, and select Ascending in your case. It's possible you might be a bit confused by the sort, but what it will achieve is the following:

A sorting of the TOTALS of all of the Color/Pack ID's highest to lowest. If you take the columns in order. Turn on totals and you will see this is the case.

You will still need to sort across the table for STD_SIZE_CD/NM for which order you want these to appear.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 4. Re: How do I sort down and then across columns?
              Kristian DiGaetano

Thank you Ben.  Unfortunately I am still having the same problem no matter how it sorts.  there are color/Pack combos that are not sorting in the same place even though the measures in the text area are the same configuration.  If you look at the 4th and 7th line from above they should be 4th and 5th. 

I verified that the sort icon is not in play in the second column as suggested above. 

The closest I can make it is below, but if you look at the bottom you will see a 1 3 6 2 stuck between the 1 2 3 2 rows....grrr

Snapshot.jpg