2 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2015 1:39 PM by Carrie Gallagher

Command Line Tool Tableau Online with Access Datasource

Carrie Gallagher

Are there any users out there that have any experience with Tableau Online and a Microsoft Access data source?

We are looking to automate our data in Tableau Online using the command-line tools and Windows Scheduler.   There are some helpful resources on Tableau's online resources, but the examples provided are for one excel file, where we have an Access datasource that contains multiple data tables.

The example provided on the Tableau materials is:

tableau refreshextract -s https://online.tableausoftware.com -t "SITENAME" --datasource TEST -u myUSERNAME -p myPASSWORD --original-file "c:\Downloads\some content.xlsx"

We are looking for this example to be modified for Microsoft Access, with a database containing multiple tables.

Thank you all -

Carrie

• 1. Re: Command Line Tool Tableau Online with Access Datasource
          bill.bomm

This is an old post, but it might be helpful to someone:

We use two files:

This is saved as a .txt

original-file=\\ServerName\PathWhereFileIsStored

site=YourSiteNname

server=online.tableausoftware.com

project=Default

datasource=Name of datasource as it appears online

username=youremail@email.com

password=yourpassword

This is saved as a .bat and run from Windows Scheduler:

cd C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau 9.0\bin

tableau refreshextract --config-file "C:\Users\YourName\Documents\My Tableau Repository\OnlineConfig\CostSavingsDatabase.txt" (create a folder for these, mine is OnlineConfig)

cd C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau 9.0\bin
          tableau refreshextract --config-file "C:\Users\YourName\Documents\My Tableau Repository\OnlineConfig\TextFileFromAbove.txt"

• 2. Re: Command Line Tool Tableau Online with Access Datasource
            Carrie Gallagher

Bill, thank you!  This did end up getting resolved with the help of Tableau Support and I neglected to update this post.   Your scenario above is exactly our methodology and we have had no issues since going live.