1 2 Previous Next 28 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2017 12:40 PM by Steve Delaney Go to original post
      • 15. Re: In 8.2 - how do I stop Tableau from renaming all my fields?
        Matt Lutton

I wonder if that workaround disables the ability to Alias after connecting as well -- if so, not much of a workaround, in my opinion.

• 16. Re: In 8.2 - how do I stop Tableau from renaming all my fields?
          Chris Gerrard

An observation: this is the sort of thing that Tableau's done in the past, and we can credit them with good intentions, but it's been implemented half-baked, with no way to control the behavior within Tableau. They tend not to back off from this sort of thing - look how long the truly awful overall formatting mechanisms have been in place, or the dashboard layout manager.

Another observation: Tableau is advertising the position of a Program Manager - Formatting on their careers site, and the description sounds like that person would have oversight of this sort of thing. On the other hand, they've had people in place for years responsible for the user experience but this sort of thing keeps happening.

An offer - this would be a pretty straightforward thing to create a simple scripting solution for (I'm pretty confident). Would anybody be interested in having a Ruby script that would (re)set the field names to their 'real' names - the ones in the database? I would be external to Tableau, need to be run manually. If so I'll see what I can whip up, might take a  day or two to fit it in.

• 17. Re: In 8.2 - how do I stop Tableau from renaming all my fields?
            Tod Meinke

Tableau should fix this ‘feature’.  A script might be handy for situations where you didn’t realize the names had been changed, but it would probably require the user to close down their workbook and then run it.  Whenever I notice the names are changing, I just restart Tableau anyway…

• 18. Re: In 8.2 - how do I stop Tableau from renaming all my fields?
              Chris Gerrard

Correct. Lots of useful things one wants to do with and to Workbooks, TDS files, etc. require doing to saved T* files.

It's the price one pays for having functionality Tableau doesn't provide.

I'd love to be able to modify Tableau while it's running, but have nowhere near the type of technical skill that would require, and have no interest in getting it.

On the other hand, I've spend many hundreds of hours poking around in the XML internals of Tableau's files and written dozens of scripts and apps to make them behave. From my perspective I'm more irked by the need to do this than by the actual doing of it.

• 19. Re: In 8.2 - how do I stop Tableau from renaming all my fields?
                David Barbey

Hey murk.repson, your workaround only lasts until you eventually edit any of the dimension /measure value alias. Indeed, once you do that, then the dimension and measure names revert back to the "Automatically renamed" fields.

Anyone has heard of any permanent solution ?

Thanks

• 20. Re: In 8.2 - how do I stop Tableau from renaming all my fields?
                  Bryan Hallock

Same thing happening to me in v9.0.5. Very annoying. My solution is one-by-one right click on field, hit "rename", then hit "reset".  Interesting that the original values are stored as "remote field name".

2015-11-18 Tableau Field Re-Naming.PNG

• 21. Re: In 8.2 - how do I stop Tableau from renaming all my fields?
                    John Test

This is horrible. In what circumstances would anyone refer to the FDA as the Fda. I can't believe this is used as an example, and just shows how annoying this feature is.

Field Type Detection and Naming Improvements | Tableau Software

Field names and capitalization

Field names that use all capital letters with non-letter characters are converted to all lower-case letters except for the characters immediately after the non-letter character.

Additionally, field names that use all lower-case letters are converted so the first letter in the field name is capitalized.

Example 2: The field name “FDA” does not change. However, the field name “FDA_Sales” is converted to “Fda Sales”.
                    • 22. Re: In 8.2 - how do I stop Tableau from renaming all my fields?
                      Toby Erkson

Actually, it's a very good example that shows what Tableau is doing. I agree, I don't know why Tableau thought it should improve upon naming or in this particular case, formatting, because a) it's not an ETL tool and b) if it mattered that much the author can simply rename the field.  Tableau is applying rules, not intelligence.  Besides, "FDA" could mean any number of things depending upon the language

When it comes to database fields proper capitalization and grammar are pretty much thrown out the door so I recommend people simply accept how the fields are named and formatted in the first place.

• 23. Re: In 8.2 - how do I stop Tableau from renaming all my fields?
                        . Tableautester

Anyone get the work-a-rounds to actually work with a Teradata database?

I have tried multiple work-a-rounds with different versions of Desktop and nothing seems to keep the original naming.

• 24. Re: In 8.2 - how do I stop Tableau from renaming all my fields?
                          Olivier Delalleau

I can't believe this still hasn't been fixed. I have carefully crafted column names in my database and Tableau should not mess with them unless I ask it to.

• 25. Re: In 8.2 - how do I stop Tableau from renaming all my fields?
                            Mark Holtz

It now appears that the freshly released Tableau 10 has upped the ante and now DEFAULTS to adding a space to aliases for all field names at each instance of a new upper case letter in a CamelCase field name. I certainly hope there is some settings control to modify this as being the default behavior!

An example, I have a source with just a few dimensions, and we constantly use and rely on (for url parameter use) fields like "DimClientKey" having no spaces.

We are very conscientious and particular about our field naming in our underlying database (this extract sources from a view in a MS SQL Server database).

I'm attending the Tableau Roadshow in Indianapolis on 8/31 week, so I'll definitely ask Tableau at that opportunity if this is configurable (and share my findings), as this could be just as aggravating as Tableau's uninvited "fixing" of field names containing underscores--a practice they employ in their own PostgreSQL repository that underlies Tableau Serve! But they don't use capitalization. I wonder if it still adds spaces in that case?

e.g.,

field_name = field name

• 26. Re: In 8.2 - how do I stop Tableau from renaming all my fields?
                              Keith Vertin

This is a somewhat dated thread, but in Version 9.3 and 10.1, you can select all the measures (and dimensions) in a worksheet, right click and "reset names" in two operations.  The change seems to be propagated throughout the data source table and all new worksheets, and is saved for the next session.

• 27. Re: In 8.2 - how do I stop Tableau from renaming all my fields?
                                Jay Morehart

I know this is old, but this was a huge help! The renaming of fields still occurs in 10.3 not sure about version 9 but in 10.1 and above you can select multiple fields and reset them all at once

From the Data Source Tab you can select one or several fields (option will say "Reset Name" regardless)

From the Data Pane on a sheet you can reset the names as well, but only if you have selected 2 or more fields

I have confirmed that the auto renaming exists (for .csv at least) and that the mult-select "reset Name(s)" works in the following versions:

10.1.8 64-bit:

10.2.2 64-bit:

10.3.2 64-bit:

• 28. Re: In 8.2 - how do I stop Tableau from renaming all my fields?
                                  Steve Delaney

Thanks; this is very helpful.

This annoying name changing doesn't happen when you specify your columns in a custom SQL data source, but that's not always optimal.

1 2 Previous Next