3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2014 11:01 AM by Aaron Clancy

Identify users who haven't changed their password?

Ben Sullins

Does anyone know how I might be able to identify users that haven't changed their password? I'm doing an audit of our security now and can't seem to figure this one out...

• 1. Re: Identify users who haven't changed their password?
          Vyacheslav Fomenkov

How about to force change passwords for all users throught some Tableau API ?

Actually, I'm looking for this opportunaty at the moment, but didn't find anything yet.

• 2. Re: Identify users who haven't changed their password?
            Aaron Clancy

Do you have their original passwords stored somewhere? When you created their account did you auto generate them or did you use some sort of canned password?

• 3. Re: Identify users who haven't changed their password?
              Aaron Clancy

If you created the same initial password for all new users then you could do something like the following:

I created a batch script that attempts to login with every user in my Tableau Server.

It reads from a file I called users.txt.     This file is a dump I created with each line being a Tableau Server username.

looks like this:

user1

user2

user3

user4

Here is the batch code (make sure you save it in the same directory as the users.txt file):

:: ***********************************************

echo start check

echo beginning of file > test.txt

for /f "delims=" %%i in (users.txt) do tabcmd login -s http://youtableauserver -u %%i -p yourpassword >>test.txt & echo. >> test.txt & tabcmd logout

pause

:: ************************************************

Make sure you have Tableau Server's bin directory in your Environment Variables PATH so that you can call tabcmd directly.

If you are doing this from any other machine than the Tableau Server you'll need tabcmd.exe on that box.

*Make sure the "for" section is all one line  (in the above it got separated out in to two lines)

This will iterate through your user list, attempt to login, and then write the results to a file called test.txt.

All the ones where the password still worked will have a "Login Succeeded" at the end of the line.

If the users had varying passwords and you know what they're supposed to be then you could apply logic that accounts for that in the above approach.