2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2014 8:36 AM by kettan

Using start & end dates to determine number of clients over time with one file

Eric Forsyth

I am looking to determine the number of clients that my organization has had every month over time with one file.  This file has a field for both "Start Date" and "Termination Date".  Is there a way to determine the number of clients that we had every month based on these 2 fields?  For example, if we had 50 clients last month and we have 3 with a start date this month and 2 with a termination date this month, then this month we would have 51 clients.  My organization has been around for over 15 years, so these are overly simplified calculations.

If there is another way to do this, please let me know.  The reason I am trying to do this is because I would like to use line graphs to visualize this movement over time as I will have different lines cut different ways (Industry, State, etc.).  I also would like to be able to use animation to display this over time and to create forecasts & trend lines.  Another option that you may know how to use is that I also have MANY files with a snapshot of our client base at any given time; but they are separate files and tableau is not understanding "April 2014 Clients" or "May 2014 Clients" as a date so I can't create a line graph or an animation depicting time.

Lastly, the reason I would like it to be one file is so that I can just re-pull that one file and refresh the data set in tableau as opposed to constantly having to reformat a new file every time.  If able to figure this out, I will also be able to directly connect to the data source and get this information live.  Any help would be much appreciated.