3 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2014 11:18 AM by Gregory Kaminski

data viz on the recent India elections

Gregory Kaminski
        • 1. Re: data viz on the recent India elections
          Jim Wahl

It is quite snazzy. Nice job.

Overall I love it. If you were asking for feedback, I might suggest

- In the header symbols, make the Others circle purple to match the pie chart and map.

- Initially, I liked the pie chart, since it starkly shows the dominance of the Janata party. However, the map also shows this clearly. Also since the map only has two dates (2009 and 2014) and the difference is interesting, I wonder if you might be better off ditching the pie chart and putting two maps side-by-side to show 2009 to 2014 differences. (My theory is that only 1 out of 10 viewers will actually click on anything.)

- Finally, make the headline a headline: Indian National Congress Lost 75% of Seats Between 2009 and 2014, After Janata Party Victories.

It's excellent work, and I'm not sure the above comments would necessarily make it better, but maybe it's something to think about if you haven't already.

Thanks for sharing. I love this kind of stuff.

Jim

• 2. Re: data viz on the recent India elections
            Matt Lutton

I agree with Jim, especially about that "Other" circle's color.

It was not immediately clear to me that there were only two years in the dataset.  The slider filter had me a bit confused for a second, as I thought I was going to be clicking through each year: 2009, 2010, 2011, etc.  Perhaps a different filter type would suffice (or an action filter could be used).

Of course, if I were paying attention to the viz and if I had read your text, it would have been much clearer to me

• 3. Re: data viz on the recent India elections
              Gregory Kaminski

Thanks for the feedback. Definitely have some good points there, especially about the date slider. I'll forward them on to my co-worker Priyanka.

greg.