7 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2014 7:10 AM by Shawn Wallwork

Getting Started document for newcomers to Forum?

Siraj Samsudeen

I feel that there is a need for a document/thread that tells the newcomers how to use the community/forum effectively. This document addresses some of it from the perspective of asking questions and getting them answered: Getting the Most From the Tableau Forums

However, there are a number of things that I wish were known to me when I started

1. What is the difference between the community page and the forum page? It took me a quite a while to figure out that these 2 pages are displaying slightly different information.
      2. There are number of wikis/calculation libraries that are hidden deep inside - they will be useful for a newcomer.
      3. Many people may not even know there is a product manual to which they can refer first before posting a question in the forum.
      4. There are a number of videos apart from the standard videos available on the Learning section - Think Data Thursday, Tableau conference, etc. - these are not known to many people.

And there are a number of things that I can't still figure out even now:

1. When I click on Follow on a person, I get 2 choices - Connection Stream and inbox. So far, I have not been able to find out how to get to that connection stream. I tried using the RSS feeds link and it always returns empty results.

2. How to change password for the forums?

It would be good if we can use this thread to share some of these gems and also to create some helpful pointers for newcomers to get more benefit from all the great content created by the community.

• 1. Re: Getting Started document for newcomers to Forum?
          Matt Lutton

Very interesting perspective--thank you for sharing.  I agree that more could be done for newcomers--and folks do seem to have a hard time locating answers on the Forum, since we see many of the same questions over and over (the answers and content are out there--making it discoverable is a challenge, I suppose).

Some sort of a Moderators Sticky thread, or a getting started guide for newcomers, could certainly be useful--as long as users can find it.

• 2. Re: Getting Started document for newcomers to Forum?
            Tracy Rodgers

Hi Siraj,

Thank you for this feedback! This is something that I will be putting together soon--I'll definitely incorporate the above mentioned items. Feel free to let me know other hints you've found helpful or would like to know more about

-Tracy

• 3. Re: Getting Started document for newcomers to Forum?
              Toby Erkson

Siraj Samsudeen wrote:

I feel that there is a need for a document/thread that tells the newcomers how to use the community/forum effectively...

And there are a number of things that I can't still figure out even now...

Buddy, yer preachin' to the choir!  I've been here for a good while and there's stuff that I still don't know/understand.  There are some features that are displayed but are not turned on.  The forum uses Jive so everything you understand and are familiar with in traditional forums is thrown out the door.

I think I need to start another Idea, Increase the Forum department's head-count!

• 4. Re: Getting Started document for newcomers to Forum?
                Siraj Samsudeen

Matt, Kettan and Tracy,

Thanks for the encouragement! I have a number of ideas that would help make life for new users and I will share them over a period of time. For now, there are a few more items that I would like to be addressed:

1. There are a number of different areas to post in the community if we have questions. Only today, Matthew pointed out that I need to use Community canvas for posting issues about the website/community rather than Tableau as a product.

2. How do I find all the posts that I have liked? I would like to use it as an index to collect all the valuable explanations that I have found and the interesting problems to work on when I have free time. Kettan, if you could teach me how to build links like the way you do, it would be helpful

3. When I like an item, I want my followers to be notified. Some of my students are following me and I want them to be notified when I like an item as I use it as a way to flag valuable content for them to read apart. Right now, the only option I see is for me to post, which I don't want to do if there is nothing valuable that I can do to the post.

• 5. Re: Getting Started document for newcomers to Forum?
                  Siraj Samsudeen

I have been wondering about this myself! I am not sure, but think this is what we see in "personal profile > content > following", such as:   sirajudeen.samsudeen    kettan

Kettan, this shows only the last post that was made by that person. I want to see every post they have made. Right now, I have subscribed by emails to only one person but that itself generates so many emails for me that I feel overwhelmed     

• 6. Re: Getting Started document for newcomers to Forum?
                    Siraj Samsudeen

Buddy, yer preachin' to the choir!  I've been here for a good while and there's stuff that I still don't know/understand.  There are some features that are displayed but are not turned on.  The forum uses Jive so everything you understand and are familiar with in traditional forums is thrown out the door.

Thanks Toby - I learnt a new idiom thanks to you. Good to know that I am preaching to the converted. But how do I know that you are all aware of all the issues. So as a relative newcomer, let me post my issues/suggestions - if they are already on the list, sorry for the inconvenience. Perhaps, it can act as a reminder to the Tableau to get going on that issue.

There will be always stuff that we may not understand in any software product. But something that seems so important like 'Connection Stream' is mystery to figure out is not something that I can digest. If features are not ready why are they displayed?      

• 7. Re: Getting Started document for newcomers to Forum?
                      Shawn Wallwork

Matthew Lutton wrote:

Some sort of a Moderators Sticky thread, or a getting started guide for newcomers

Sticky threads would be perfect. Good idea.