1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2014 7:25 AM by Toby Erkson

Front Page Navigation Experiment

Tracy Rodgers

Hi All!

If you go to the front page of the Community, you may notice it looks a little different. A Tableau viz has been posted in an effort to help newbies to the community find the resources they are looking for.

It's just an experiment, so if we find it's more cumbersome than helpful after two weeks (if not sooner) we'll take it down.

Let me know your thoughts! And ideas for improvements!

-Tracy

• 1. Re: Front Page Navigation Experiment
          Shawn Wallwork

Definitely an improvement Tracy Rodgers! It still has some rough patches, and a few things that can be improved, but I for one hope this does NOT get dumped in two weeks. And that it just gets tweaked. I really do think you guys are on the right track.

Cheers,

--Shawn

• 2. Re: Front Page Navigation Experiment
            Joshua Milligan

I agree with Shawn.  I think it's on the right track!  Will the workbook library and calculation reference library be as visible as they used to be?  I found the links a fairly easy way to get there.

Regards,

Joshua

• 3. Re: Front Page Navigation Experiment
              Shawn Wallwork

Joshua, I'm glad you agree.

You've sort of hit on one of the trade-offs in taking this approach. Both 'libraries' you mentioned are now one, I guess two levels down:

Explore\ 1. Explore, create..... gets you a link to TCRL

Explore\ 2. Browse and share.... gets you a link to Tableau Workbook Library

Explore\ 3. Explore and share scripts.... gets you to Dev Community

While this is a couple of extra clicks, I think the Learn tab can be reconfigured to really help Newbies find answers, and ask better questions. I see this as a first step toward improving the quality of questions. So I'm willing to learn/get use to a new way of getting to the old front page stuff.

This also give Team Tableau a way of exposing other useful area like the Crow's Nest. Anyway, enough of what I think, what's everyone else think?

Cheers,

--Shawn

• 4. Re: Front Page Navigation Experiment
                Tracy Rodgers

Thanks Shawn and Joshua--glad to hear this is a step in the right direction!

My concern was that people who were used to the all the links might find it more difficult. Do you think having a "Quick Links" navigation below the Viz would be helpful?

What other critiques about the viz itself could make it easier for both new and veteran users alike?

-Tracy

• 5. Re: Front Page Navigation Experiment
                  Shawn Wallwork

For new users:

Learn \ 1. Search for a question

... should take them to a simple Advanced Search box, they should not have to click the link on the other side of the magnifying glass. And they shouldn't be confused by other searches below the search box. It should be simple "Google-clean" no distractors.

Learn \ 2. Ask a question

... should absolutely NOT take them to the forums. Instead it should take them to the "Start a discussion" landing page, fully opened, so it is obvious there is a Title and a big box below to ask a question. (The Forums option is already listed above, so they could have gone directly there.) Listing all the different "How to post a good question" along the right side would be a real bonus.

Learn \ 3. Find Newbie Desktop Resources

... (Again this shouldn't require an additional click on the link, assume this comment throughout.) The landing page is a bit overwhelming. I'd clean it up, focus on the "Welcome to Tableau Desktop" and offer a good list of newbie oriented resources. Get rid of all the distractors in on the left and right of the central column. Get rid of the Recent Activity. Again think Google-simple. (Also, I'd probably get rid of the 'Newbie' term; folks won't want to think of themselves as Newbies for long (i.e. "I may be a Newbie but my question isn't!") I think the "Learn" tab categorizes the experience the users are looking for.

Learn \ 4. See a list of common calculations

... I don't think this is a "Learn" tab topic. The TCRL link works well on the Explore tab. At the Learn stage, I think this would just become confusing and overwhelming.

Learn \ 5. See a compilation of resources by community members

... I think this should be part of the Learn \ 3. Resources tab above. But I think we should reorganize TabWiki into some sort of level-of-difficulty structure. Again we really shouldn't overwhelm new folks with esoteric wizardry. The Learn tab should be the ease-into-Tableau tab.

Learn \ 6. Read about new and updated Knowledge Base articles

... I'd move this waaaay up the list, probably right after 1. Search... I am hoping this area will grow rapidly and help folks find their answers before posting a needless/repetitive question. KB articles have improved greatly in the last few years. Getting them integrated into our forums will help take stress off all of us, questioners and answerers.

That's enough for now. (I didn't error typo check so be kind and autocorrect for me).

Cheers,

--Shawn

• 6. Re: Front Page Navigation Experiment
                    Toby Erkson

I do not like it.  I like the previous MUCH better because it was more direct.  I vote against this one.

Previously I could go to the welcome page and easily jump to the Community Canvas.  This morning I was stopped dead in my tracks and couldn't get there until I had to scroll to the bottom of the page and there it was, in a little link, like the old, old way.  Yuck.  After playing around I see I can get there with additional clicks, Connect >> Learn more about the community.

Clicking on a major icon (Forums, Ideas, etc.) pops open a new window that takes me to the location.  No.  If anything, have the pop-up disappear and take me to the location in the current browser tab, not a whole new window!  Oh, this is trouble...click on Forums, oh, you know, I want to go back to Community so click on the "Community" bread-crumb then click on Learn and item #5 (a.k.a. TabWiki...ugh, too many clicks already) and then the TabWiki link itsef and - BAM! - another window pops open!  Aw heck no!!  The bread-crumb trail is now useless as is using the browser Back function.

The Learn/Share/etc. "toolbar" is a nice idea and I can see that being useful as it's a semi-visual table of contents.  I can understand that it would be helpful for absolute beginners.  I'm not crazy about the duplication e.g. Learn >> See a compilation of resources by community members and Share >> Share a document on a subject matter you're knowledgeable about.  Ideas had a duplication, too.

Gimme the previous table of contents and functionality, please.

• 7. Re: Front Page Navigation Experiment
                      kettan

I couldn't open the links yesterday (I use Chrome). When I tried again today I understand why.

This message came up after choosing Learn > 1. Search for a question:

chrome pop-up blocked.png

I don't think I am the only one experiencing this as 'not working' and therefore recommend the link to open in the same 'window' and thus avoid this issue.

• 8. Re: Front Page Navigation Experiment
                        Shawn Wallwork

Agree. Also it nothing works if you don't log in first. Also when a pop-up window is used bookmarks are not available:

pop up.png

Which is where I have a lot of answer material.

But this is just a first attempt, and these things can (and will) get ironed out along the way.

Cheers,

--Shawn

• 9. Re: Front Page Navigation Experiment
                          Toby Erkson

Shawn Wallwork wrote:

But this is just a first attempt, and these things can (and will) get ironed out along the way.

Cheers,

--Shawn

You are far more optimistic than I (emphasis above is mine).

• 10. Re: Front Page Navigation Experiment
                            Tracy Rodgers

This is good feedback all! I'm going to try to rework a couple of things to see if we can get closer to the best of both worlds.

Things that need improvement:

• Quick links to all spaces
                              • users should be able to get to where they want quick, one click
                              • users shouldn't have to guess what area to select if they know where they're trying to go
                            • Links open new windows--some browsers block allowing them to open
                            • Get rid of duplicate links/spaces
                              • my rationale for this was that by giving users different action items would give them direction on how each place could be used differently--thoughts?
                            • Change some of the links to be more direct to what users would be doing (i.e. "Ask a question")

Let me know if I'm missing anything! And I'll see what I can do on this in the next couple of days!

-Tracy

• 11. Re: Front Page Navigation Experiment
                              kettan

users should be able to get to where they want quick, one click

Removing one layer by 'moving up' category indicators was my first click-saving-thought yesterday.

thread 143220 Front Page Navigation Experiment.png

Ps. I know this mock-up needs a lot of improvements  :-)

• 12. Re: Front Page Navigation Experiment
                                Joshua Milligan

I really like it Johan!

• 13. Re: Front Page Navigation Experiment
                                  Shawn Wallwork

I suppose my optimism stems from the fact that this new page is being created by Tracy in Tableau (not Jive) so it can more easily be adapted/changed without wait forever for Jive tech support to get back to them.

--Shawn

• 14. Re: Front Page Navigation Experiment
                                    Toby Erkson

Okay, it's been almost a week and I have moved from dislike to hate regarding this navigation.  New windows opening, too many clicks, just ain't jiving with me.  Please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please pleeeeeeeease go back to the previous navigation!

1 2 Previous Next