4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2016 8:03 AM by Mike Rudzinski

Tableau unable to read OData feed : Bad OData Format

Amine Benhalloum

Hi everyone,

I have trouble connecting to an OData feed, as I get this error message :

"Bad OData Format. Make sure you are using a URL that points to a valid OData Source"

I can access the url in a browser, and I can connect to the OData feed through Excel.

Does anyone have a similar problem ? And what do you think is the problem ?

I am using Tableau 8.1 with Windows 8, and I am developping my OData feed through Web API 2.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Tableau unable to read OData feed : Bad OData Format

Hi Amine,

It looks like someone else encountered the same issue in the following Community post:

Connecting to OData

You may find the information in that post helpful in resolving the issue.

Cheers!

- Jordan

• 2. Re: Tableau unable to read OData feed : Bad OData Format
            Amine Benhalloum

Thank you for your answer,

Actually it's not at all the same problem, as my link is a Resource Path URL, that can be open through Excel's Power Query, and when I access it through my browser I get the excpected JSON response.

• 3. Re: Tableau unable to read OData feed : Bad OData Format
              Mike Rudzinski

Did you ever find a resolution to this problem? We are experiencing the same trying to connect to an ODATA feed in Denodo. We have no issues with SAP HANA.

We think that Tableau requires ODATA to be in atom format, but does not specify this on the accept header. We were hoping $format=atom on the URL would solve this, but it seems like it is being ignored. We are trying to change the default format in Denodo to see if this will work.

In a web browser when you have a bad URL you get a useful error message. I wish Tableau could provide this error message instead of "Bad Odata format". It could be as simple as providing the first 500 characters of the feed returned to Tableau.

• 4. Re: Tableau unable to read OData feed : Bad OData Format
                Mike Rudzinski

Better error messages are in My Documents > My Tableau Repository > Logs > log.txt

In our case we saw Tableau appended $inlinecount=allpages to the OData URL, which fails in OData v4 with:

{"error":{"code":null,"message":"The system query option '$inlinecount' is not defined."}}

Tableau only supports OData v2. Denodo can support both versions. We installed v2 and we were able to connect successfully. Here is feedback from Tableau Support:

According to this article from Microsoft, the inlinecount function was not included in OData version 4: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd942040.aspx. This is one of the reasons why Tableau Desktop cannot connect to that version of OData.

The only Tableau documentation I could find documenting the OData V2 requirement was this:

Tableau connects to OData V2, and does not support browsing OData service documents.

We originally were concerned about json vs. atom formats, but this was not issue. Make sure you are using OData V2 (as of August 2016, Tableau v 9.3.5 and below).

2 of 2 people found this helpful