Stanford is conducting a search for an Operational Intelligence Manager within Financial Management Services, Business Affairs.
Learn more below, or click to apply: http://stanfordcareers.stanford.edu/job-search?jobId=62708
Financial Management Services (FMS) is a unit of the Business Affairs Office consisting of five primary organizations: Controller’s Office, Treasurer’s Office, Purchasing & Payment Services, Global Operations, and Financial Management Consulting and Support. FMS works with other Business Affairs units to provide integrated financial, technical, and business services for the benefit of the Stanford Community. The Financial Management Services (FMS) organization is led by the Sr. Associate Vice President for Finance and is charged with leading and managing the financial and management accounting activities for the University.
The Financial Management Consulting and Support department is working to create new tools and services designed to make work both simpler and more effective for everyone involved in Stanford's financial management. Central to the department’s work is the interdependent relationship between processes, systems, reporting, comprehensive communications and training, and project management and the absolute necessity for addressing all five in change efforts. The department coordinates resources knowledgeable in all five areas to seek solutions to selected business problems, collaborating with critical subject matter experts and systems partners for specific projects. A primary objective is to tackle projects that will provide significant financial management benefits in areas that are not necessarily "owned" by one department, but require cooperative, cohesive efforts for successful project outcomes. Throughout all of this is focus on using data / metrics to measure business performance within the operational areas of the larger Financial Management Services (FMS) organization.
The Operational Intelligence Manager is the team lead for the development, implementation and monitoring of key performance metrics for FMS operational units. This team will be the key resource group for periodic reporting of performance management indicators to FMS business owners. The Operational Intelligence Manager will be responsible for building an organization-wide performance management capability from the ground up. The role requires strong partnering within many levels of FMS to drive performance improvement through exemplary metrics/reporting using proven best practice techniques and methodologies while supporting a vision of central shared services.
There are four essential job functions for this position:
1. Operational metrics and reporting framework
o Develop measurable metrics to fairly appraise the performance of key operational units
o Develop automated data collection and dissemination tools
o Create reporting frameworks to adequately display comparative data across key performance statistics
o Meet regularly with FMS customers to review performance statistics and discuss enhanced metrics and measurements to support continuous improvement of their operational units
2. Report creation, analysis, and distribution
o Design and develop standardized reports
o Collect data from necessary data sources and create previously designed performance reports
o Produce the agreed upon reports, ensuring that deadlines are met, information is accurate, and processes duly documented and communicated
o Analyze the collected performance statistics, identify performance exceptions, and validate
o Develop unique and very complex analyses related to operational reports, as requested by FMS customer base and for other special projects
o Develop dashboards and scorecards to display periodic results
3. Target setting and benchmark comparisons
o Advise FMS business owners on defining and identifying key measures and operational performance targets
o Perform periodic data collection from automated sources and extract performance data according to established framework
o Perform regular / periodic benchmarks of key performance metrics against outside benchmarks of similar type, format and origin
4. Liaise with cross departmental heads and senior personnel within FMS on operational intelligence reporting and quality assurance
o Ensure FMS central operational intelligence reporting is aligned and supports the overall FMS roadmap for financial management information delivery and management architecture
o With guidance from FMS operational units, provide performance reporting to outside, external customers and reporting in conjunction with FMS SLA terms and conditions
· Solid understanding, extensive experience, and technical mastery of monitoring and delivery of business unit performance management through KPIs, reports, dashboards, etc.
· Ability to analyze, summarize and interpret complex data and information; move logically from findings to conclusions
· Should be able to demonstrate excellent understanding of relevant business information to support business performance management, e.g., decision support systems
· Can prepare and present data/findings in a concise and understandable format; via documentation and stand-up presentation skills
· Exceptional communication skills and the ability to communicate and present appropriately at all levels of the organization through written and verbal methods
· Ability to work with little or no direction in an environment that is not always open to change or able to change quickly
· Excellent influence management skills and the ability to work across multiple functional groups including: analysis, systems, communications, support as well as other central departments and disparate department and academic units
· Strong peripheral vision with the ability to see the big picture and to deal with ambiguity
· Experience in effectively managing team members towards stated group goals
· Aptitude for understanding functional capabilities of implemented enterprise applications (both custom and off the shelf)
· Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office, Oracle SQL, other business intelligence tools such as Oracle Business Intelligence (OBI), Tableau (or similar data visualization packages)
Required Education and Experience:
· BS/BA degree in Engineering, Accounting, Finance, or other Business. MIS or MBA preferred
· 4+ years of progressive performance management reporting experience for large-scale business services operations
· Oracle Financials and eBusiness suite experience in the higher education industry a plus