3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2014 3:43 PM by Noah Salvaterra

Percentage messages with no replies

Johan De Groot

I have a table with all messages in a simple forum, including a separate ID for all questions.

It looks like this:

QuestionIDMsgID

Some QuestionIDs have multiple MsgIDs (lots of reactions), some have only one (no reaction on original message).

What I would like to know is the percentage of Questions with only 1 MsgID.

Number of QuestionIDs with 1 MsgID: x%

Number of QuestionIDs with > 1 MsgID: y%

It's easy to 'see' this in a chart with all QuestionIDs and the count of corresponding MsgIDs, but I have trouble to aggregate this into a percentage.

• 1. Re: Percentage messages with no replies
          Noah Salvaterra

I expect there are lots of ways to approach this one, so I went with a simple one.

With QuestionID in the view, I created a calculated field to count the number of replies.

Message Count:

sum([Number of Records])

you could replace that with a count or even a count distinct if there might be duplicate records that you don't want to count twice.

Then I created an indicator at the QuestionID level based on this count.

More than one reply:

if [Message Count]>1 then 1 else 0 end

Then to get the percentage I just needed:

window_sum([More than one reply])/window_sum(Max(1))

Computed along QuestionID, this will add up the indicators from the previous step. In the denominator I am also using a window_sum which will give the number of QuestionIDs without qualification. This will result in a value for each question id (the same value), so to clean things up I limited to the first one.

% Responded:

if first()==0 then window_sum([More than one reply])/window_sum(Max(1)) end

and to get the % who didn't respond I subtracted this from 1.

% Didn't Respond:

1-[% Responded]

Does that do what you need?

N.

• 2. Re: Percentage messages with no replies
            Johan De Groot

Great - thank you very much. This seems indeed the right calculation for me!

I went the wrong way when using the window_sum, but you helped me out on that one.

• 3. Re: Percentage messages with no replies
              Noah Salvaterra

Glad I could help. Table calcs are fun, but first they are confusing. You get a hang of partitioning you can make calcs on top of calc on top of calcs with each going in a different direction!

N.