2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2014 7:02 AM by Michael Lance

Calculate Percent of Bars

Michael Lance

Hello.

I have a standard bar chart:

with incorrect percentages displayed.

The default values to display are (obviously) the actual counts, which for "Step 1" is 49 and so on.

I am trying to create a calculation to display the percent represented by the amount for each bar.

Thanks in Advance,

Michael

• 1. Re: Calculate Percent of Bars
          Noah Salvaterra

As far as I can tell, Tableau is providing just what you asked for. My guess is that you have number of records of the row shelf (I have to guess as this isn't part of the image above), Calculation2 is on the label shelf, so it is graphing one thing but labeling it with another.

What Calculation2 is actually computing isn't something I can get from a picture. If you can provide a sample workbook, or at least a better description of what you mean by "the amount for each bar" then I should be able to help.

You could also try taking Calculation2 off the sheet, then right click the number of records calc on rows, select quick table calculation and then percent of total. This should change things to a percentage using table across. Control drag that onto label, then right click the rows calc again and select clear table calculation if you want to go back to counts.

N.

• 2. Re: Calculate Percent of Bars
            Michael Lance

Here is a more complete picture showing the table calculation for “SUM(# Records)”:

I’d like for the y-axis to remain the same but the labels to show the percent for each bar (of the total for the table).

Thanks,

Dr. Michael Lance

Director of Research & Evaluation

HES, Inc. for Noor International, Star International, Universal Learning, and Universal Academies

P.O. Box 1440

Dearborn, MI  48121

(313) 565-0507 ext. 519, Fax: (313) 565-0705

Always Remember the 5 P's:

Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance

The information contained in this e-mail, including any attachments, is confidential, intended only for the named recipient(s), and may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete the e-mail and any attachments, destroy any printouts that you may have made, and notify us immediately by return e-mail. Thank you.