I am working on this EXACT same issue! Right now I'm awaiting a response from our eCollaboration team as it appears that they have to allow/permit our server to connect. This is out of my expertise so I can't explain but I'll watch this thread for your results and post mine as well.
Hi Toby, I've made some progress with this now after digging around. Couple of things to be aware of:
1) Your Tableau Server 'run as' account needs to have permissions to access the sharepoint site. If you're using Active Directory for authentication on the Tableau Server then this should just be a case of adding the tableau server user from the list of users on the domain, e.g. COMPANY\tableau_service_user. Also the account needs to be active.
2) The WebClient service needs to be running on your Windows Server in order for it to resolve WebDAV/Sharepoint URLs. See this link for more info on how to enable it. This was NOT enabled by default on my server. WindowsGeek: Where is WebClient service on Windows Server 2008 R2 and How do I enable it?
3) I'm not sure this is entirely necessary but I did it anyway - when accessing the sharepoint path via Windows Explorer I was continually asked for my access credentials, so in order to avoid a situation where the Tableau Server might hit the same issue, I've implemented this registry fix Prompt for Credentials When Accessing FQDN Sites From a Windows Vista or Windows 7 Computer
After implementing steps 2 and 3, this still doesn't work on my server but I've noticed the error message in the logs has changed from:
Database error 0x80004005: The Microsoft Office Access database engine could not find the object
Make sure the object exists and that you spell its name and the path name correctly.
Database error 0x80004005: The Microsoft Office Access database engine cannot open or write to the file
It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view and write its data.
So before it could not even see that network location, now it can but access/permissions are holding it up, so I'm going back to point 1 to try and fix that.
I hope that helps!
Yes, I've got AD and the permission is set up by the SharePoint admin. I did talk w/our firewall network guy first and he said that is not the issue so moved my request onward.
We've been fighting the same issue, and don't have it working yet. The only additional thing I'd add is make sure the path to your file is in UNC format.
Yep, already doing that.
I'm running into the same issues.
It seems to work unless using a SSL conection
Then it throws an error
Invalid database name value