4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2014 12:53 PM by Ben Leathers

Discretely graphing columns that share values

Ben Leathers

Hello,

New here.

Each row in my data represents a participant that raised money for our charity. There are incentives given to participants if they break certain thresholds. i.e.

If they raise $25 they get a shirt.

If they raise $150 they get VIP access (and a shirt)

My data has columns labeled Shirt Earned and VIP Earned, both populated with 'Yes' and 'No' values depending on whether the participant raised enough money or not.

I'd like to make a bar chart with a 'column' for Shirt Earned and a 'column' for VIP Earned that shows how many earned each.

Since our incentives are cumulative, there is overlap, and instead of giving me 2 discrete columns, it shows me how many did not earn a shirt, how many did not earn VIP, and how many did earn VIP.

I realize that this happens because Tableau is mapping the values to columns rather than column headers to columns, but I can't think of a quick way around this.

I've attached a stripped down workbook that uses a dashboard to demonstrate what I'd like to do within a sheet.

Thanks for any help!

Please let me know if you have any questions.

• 1. Re: Discretely graphing columns that share values
          Noah Salvaterra

Hello again! From the dashboard it seems like you're wanting to double count. Did you want these all in one sheet? Looking at the data is a bit confusing, did you just remove last name to anonymize? I'm trying to figure out why there are people who both did and didn't earn a t-shirt, but that would explain it. If you want several bar charts why not use a dashboard?

Since your incentives overlap it seems like a good way to visualize is in the 3 groups Tableau gave, just maybe not with those colors or pane dividers. I included an example of another way to look at the whole picture in the last sheet. To create these groups I combined the different incentive levels into a single dimension, control click several dimensions then right click and select combine. Once on the sheet you can right click the individual categories and edit alias to rename (note the fields are ordered alphabetically by field name).

Let me know if this helps, or if you still need help.

N.

• 2. Re: Discretely graphing columns that share values
            Ben Leathers

Hey Noah,

Thanks for the response.

That control click and combine is a nice tip!

I'm sorry the data is confusing, I did delete several rows to anonymize, and didn't de-duplicate the first names.

In this particular case, I do want to double count rows.  As a participant raises more money, the incentive items accumulate as follows:

$25 - T-Shirt

$150 - VIP & T-Shirt

$500 - Jacket & VIP& T-Shirt

$1,000 - Backpack & Jacket & VIP & T-Shirt

So with the following list of people:

John - $0

Sarah - $25

Matt - $200

Steve - $300

Anna - $550

Kathleen - $1500

I would like the bar chart to look like:

T-Shirt Yes: 5

T-Shirt No: 1

VIP Yes: 4

VIP No: 2

Jacket Yes: 2

Jacket No: 4

Backpack Yes: 1

Backpack No: 5

I would like to have it all on one sheet so I can later view it by location and year next to each other.

I'm hoping to later view each bar as a percent of all participants as well.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Discretely graphing columns that share values
              Noah Salvaterra

Ok..Ok. Fine, you can do it. If this had occurred to me before I'd have posted it, but I must have been having an off night. I used a running sum along reward type (ordered by descending average donation) to get the number who got each reward, then took the total minus that number for those who didn't. Measure values lets us use those 2 side by side.

• 4. Re: Discretely graphing columns that share values
                Ben Leathers

Hey Noah Salvaterra ,

Thanks for this response! I have been out of the office, and am just checking this out. This is exactly what I'm looking for, however it's going to take me a minute to figure out how exactly you did this!

Thanks