3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2014 11:38 AM by Norberto Sanchez

Is Tableau capable of creating 3D charts?

Norberto Sanchez

Hi. Is Tableu capable of plotting charts in three dimensions/axes?

This would be a great feature for advance analytics.

• 1. Re: Is Tableau capable of creating 3D charts?
          Prashant Sharma

Hi Norberto,

Check out the discussion in this idea section: - http://community.tableau.com/ideas/1328

Warm Regards,

Prashant Sharma - India | LinkedIn

• 2. Re: Is Tableau capable of creating 3D charts?
            Russell Christopher

Hi Noberto -

As the "votes" on the idea that Prashant indicate, 3D is generally considered a poor way of doing visualization. While "interesting to look at",  3D tends to make your data harder to understand.

Can you explain how you'd use 3D? What value does it add for you?

• 3. Re: Is Tableau capable of creating 3D charts?
              Norberto Sanchez

Hi, Gentlemen. I appreciate both of your comments. However, I have the following comments myself:

1. First, I assume that your answer to my question is: "No, Tableau does not have 3D capabilities".

2.On the need for 3D visualization:

a. Like any data analysis, everything must be taken in the right context. Doing data visualizations, regardless of the dimensions (1D, 2D, 3D), without knowledge of the context and familiarity with the data or subject under study is dangerous. For example, in many industries there is a conflict between the results of aggregated data at higher organizational levels and what really happens at operational levels. At lower levels you usually need more detail and complexity in order to better understand what is going on.

b. In healthcare, we operate in a dynamical system, with multiple dimensions of data in multiple scales. Being limited to visualizing data in two dimensions restricts the types of analysis we can do. For example, we are required to provide healthcare services within the three dimensions of access (volume), quality and cost. As such, we need to be able to see/analyze our data in those three dimensions, simultaneously. That is our challenge and I was hoping that Tableau would step up to it.

3. In the end, whatever is presented to decision-makers and other end-users has to be as simple and interactive as possible. That is the responsibility of the data analyst, to provide meaningful and actionable information and not just pretty charts for the end-user to interpret.

4. An analogy of this scenario is the historical development of computer software. In the beginnings, you had to be a programmer in order to use computers. With the advent of more user-friendly software and operating systems, more people were able to take advantage of the benefits of computers. However, that meant that programmers, software engineers, etc. had to work harder at creating those user-friendly applications, like Tableau.

But, that is my personal opinion. Thanks again for your comments.

Norberto