I am unable to sort a hierarchy the way I would expect. I understand nested sorting as described in this post Nested Sorting | Tableau Software, but the scope of this issue is slightly larger.
Basically I want to allow a user to click the ' + ' and ' - ' hierarchy buttons on a chart and always have the chart sort from largest to smallest within the hierarchy level (nested sorting at each drilled-down level of hierarchy). AND I want the 'ugly aliases of the combined categories' described in this post: nested sorting and changing the alias of the combined dimensions to be hidden.
For a little context, I have attached a workbook with a few work-arounds that I have tried that are not sufficient:
Tab: Standard Sort
- The drill-down works correctly
- The headers are correct
- There is no nested sorting
Tab: Hidden Alias
- This is what I want for the first level of hierarchy, but as I drill down (click the + button) the nested sort disappears
Tab: Hierarchy - I created combined fields for both levels of hierarchy, added them to the hierarchy, removed 'show header'.
- If I put the combined field pill in front of the category that I want sorted, the nested sorting operates as I would like.
- Unfortunately, trying to drill up and down using the + and - buttons does not work, because the combined fields are in the hierarchy and hidden, so users would be confused
Tab: Option 5 - create a hierarchy of only combined fields, remove 'category' and 'subcategory'.
- This is also close. I could drill up and down perfectly, BUT then i am stuck with the 'ugly aliases of combined categories'. At the lowest drill down, where I would want headers to be just the 'Sub-Category', each header would be something like 'Region, Category, Sub-Category'.
Sorting Issues.twbx 1.2 MB