3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2014 4:40 PM by Russell Christopher

Incremental Refresh

Jaan N

Hi,

I have a workbook with two datasources, one datasource needs full refresh and one datasource needs incremental refresh.

I am able to run the incremental refresh by using

tabcmd refreshextracts --incremental --workbook "WorkbookABC"          --project 'ProjectABC'

But to do full refresh if I use below command, it does the FULL refresh for both the datasources.

tabcmd refreshextracts --workbook "WorkbookABC"          --project 'ProjectABC'

Is there any way to do just FULL refresh on the datasources where INCREMENTAL is not defined ?

• 1. Re: Incremental Refresh
          Russell Christopher

For your exact question: "I don't know"

You could get this to work by publishing both data sources to Tableau Data Server, however. You would:

• Publish each data source to Tableau Server (one with a full refresh, the other as incremental)
          • Use the data sources on the Server instead of the ones in your workbook (you can easily swap them out)
          • Refresh each of the data sources individually with TabCmd.
          • 2. Re: Incremental Refresh
            Jaan N

Thanks Russell. It worked.

One more question.

Lets say I have 3 datasources: DataSourceA, DataSourceB and DataSourceC. I want to refresh DataSourceC only after DataSourceA and DataSourceB are completely refreshed with no errors.

Is there any way to achieve this ? Below are the tabcmds that I am using.

tabcmd refreshextracts --incremental --synchronous --datasource "DataSourceA"          --project 'ProjectABC'

tabcmd refreshextracts --synchronous --datasource "DataSourceB"          --project 'ProjectABC'

tabcmd refreshextracts --datasource "DataSourceC"          --project 'ProjectABC'

Appreciate your help.

• 3. Re: Incremental Refresh
              Russell Christopher

You’d need to write a batch file which reads / parses the output of each of these commands, looking for a success or failure condition, and then firing the next command conditionally.