3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2014 5:07 AM by Tom W

Need help on project hand over documentation

Manish Patel

I am a business analyst with BI background – you can say BI Analyst (functional).

Recently my company bought over another firm. The new company has come with Tableau as a reporting tool. I am asked to take hand over from the incoming Tableau person. That person is actually SAP Business Objects Developer, was doing Tableau for some time and has decided to leave for better opportunities.

Here is where I need help, what should I keep in mind while taking “hand over” for tableau . I know person leaving is not going be friendly, so I have to be smart (or over-smart) to ask enough questions.

Can you please help me with areas or questions I should keep in mind?

I could think:

• What is technical environment
        • Tableau Server version
        • Tableau Desktop version, licenses
      • What is our reporting environment and for which departments
        • How many Dashboards (per department)
        • How many reports  (per department)
        • How many ad-hoc analysis reports  (per department)
      • What is mode of delivery of above items (dashboard / reports)
        • Do people log in to server
        • Do we send them regularly
      • What is mode of dashboard or report refresh
        • How many times in a week data gets refreshed
        • How do people get refreshed reports
          • § Are they connected to server
          • § Do they get refreshed report copy
      • What are our data sources?
      • Do you get excel or text file for dashboard development or do you connect with database directly?
      • Which databases you connect to get reports?
      • Do you get Excel mock up for dashboard requests?

I f you can use your experience and verify if I am on a right path?

Do I need to add more questions?

I do not want to sound totally dumb while talking with this person. At the same time I want to get enough data / hand-over so company does not feel pain of person leaving.

Thanks for help

• 1. Re: Need help on project hand over documentation
          Shawn Wallwork

Do you personally have any Tableau experience? If not, it probably doesn't matter what questions you ask, you're going to need help from knowledgeable Tableau folks to get up to speed. Best to hire a Tableau consultant on a short-term basis to help you sort out what is what, and where you need to go from here.

What part of the world do you live in?

--Shawn

• 2. Re: Need help on project hand over documentation
            Prashant Sharma

Hi Manish,

From the following link you can learn more about Tableau: - http://kb.tableausoftware.com/

Warm Regards,

Prashant Sharma - India | LinkedIn

• 3. Re: Need help on project hand over documentation
              Tom W

Shawn Wallwork wrote:

Do you personally have any Tableau experience? If not, it probably doesn't matter what questions you ask, you're going to need help from knowledgeable Tableau folks to get up to speed. Best to hire a Tableau consultant on a short-term basis to help you sort out what is what, and where you need to go from here.

--Shawn

I think the OP is focusing on the right things though. If the OP had outlined a whole lot of questions like "How do I format a chart?" and items which were effectively Tableau training then I would agree with you.

For now though, I think your focus should be on gathering specific knowledge which only this guy has.

To the OP - I would speak to this persons manager to understand a little more about this persons role and their position within the company to clarify the future. For example, maybe the department doesn't want to be developing for the end users going forward. It's worth clarifying as I've seen it before where someone's handing over a role, doing a lot of things they shouldn't necessarily be doing.