1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2018 3:08 PM by tanvi khanna

Is map drill down is possible in single map

vaishnavi.a

I have 50 states in my data and respective counties of those states. First level I need to see the states in filled map,then if I click on any state it has to drill to the county level(should display only the counties given in data with marks)  for the selected state.

Please Suggest.

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Is map drill down is possible in single map
          Tracy Rodgers

Hi Vaishnavi,

In this situation, I would probably create two maps, one with the state filled map and another map with all the counties included. Then, create an action that takes the user from the first map to the second map, zoomed to the state selected. I've attached an example here. Hope it helps!

-Tracy

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is map drill down is possible in single map
            Matt Lutton

With two sheets on a dashboard, you could use dynamic sheet selection/swapping in order to get behavior similar to what you're looking for. 

Here's some help: Sheet Selection on Steroids

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Is map drill down is possible in single map
              vaishnavi.a

Hi Tracy ,Thanks for your suggestion .we need to apply it in the dashboard level.Like I need to show only state map and it has drill down to county level.I have just used sheet selection methods to implement this,but still without using parameters we have to show the map drilldown in a single view in dashboard.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Is map drill down is possible in single map
                vaishnavi.a

Hi Matthew ,

Thanks! We implemented using the sheet selection method(using parameter),Still without any manual selection in parameter we need to show the map drill ,Like if I click one state it has to drill down to the county level and again we need to come back to state map just by clicking in dashboard.

Please suggest.

Many Thanks,

Vaishnavi Arumugam

• 5. Re: Is map drill down is possible in single map
                  Niclas Maabari Skovbjerg

Hi tracyrodgers. How can that be applied in a dashboard? This solution seems only to work on sheets.

• 6. Re: Is map drill down is possible in single map
                    Ryan Grojean

Hello Everyone!

Using a Size() filter, layout containers and dashboard actions you can create a drill through map. Only 2 years late...but here is an example on Tableau Public that you can download and reverse engineer: Click me

7 of 7 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Is map drill down is possible in single map
                      Simon Runc

Thanks Ryan...Love it!!!

• 8. Re: Is map drill down is possible in single map
                        kanchan chawla

Hi Ryan Gorjean

I am stuck at a point while reverse engineering your map drill down workbook.I have not used maps but simle tables for both state and city.The issue is I am not able to apply "action(Country,State)" and "For State(marky mark in your sheet)" simultaneously.I am not getting where is the problem.Please help me out.I have attached my workbook along.

Regards

Kanchan

• 9. Re: Is map drill down is possible in single map
                          Ryan Grojean

Hello Kanchan,

You need to select "Leave the filter" in order for this to work. Hence the need for creating a reset the drill down filter to add to the dashboard.

You need to make this change on both actions:

2017-08-03_8-30-55.jpg

• 10. Re: Is map drill down is possible in single map
                            Akhil Mahajan

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the idea!

I was trying to replicate this using the workbook that you shared, for a treemap. However, i am not able to make the first sheet(top level) disappear on click. I have checked the Leave the filter option as well in both the options, but the first sheet is still there even when i click on it to go to the second sheet.

Can you please advise with this issue? Attached is the workbook i am working on.

Best,

Akhil

• 11. Re: Is map drill down is possible in single map
                              Gabe DeWitt

I had the same issue initially but figured out what went wrong. Within the Dashboard's actions dialog box, go to the Target Sheets section, and make sure to use the drop down to select the Targeted Sheet (don't use the checkboxes that correspond to the same target sheet as they're considered within the dashboard). With that, you're filtering the Targeted Sheet directly, not just within the dashboard. Correcting that fixed my issue with the State View not filtering disappearing, and it's the same as Ryan Gorjean example. Thanks for figuring this out, Ryan!

• 12. Re: Is map drill down is possible in single map
                                Ovilia Mega Sari

Hi Ryan,

I have issue , how you hide "City Level" worksheet in Dashboard in the first time?

• 13. Re: Is map drill down is possible in single map
                                  tanvi khanna

Hi Ryan, Gabe,

I was reading this thread and I have a similar situation. Would be great if you could provide urgent help. I am looking for an answer since a week on the community.

I have a map chart below which is a filter for region (business group) =Asia, Canada, USA

Map chart controls a table with geography hierarchy as the column : region (business group) -> Units (belonging to each group)

Currently I have a parameter created - where user can input the level to switch between the region and units (dropdown)

I am required to show--

a) region level (pts for each region) in the table when all 3 regions (global view) are selected are on map (or reset is clicked)

b) units level (pts for each unit within that region) when one region is selected on map

It would be best to eliminate the user parameter input and drive this scenario by the action filter on map to control the level of hierarchy in the table.

I tried creating several if conditions for action filters but dint work.

In the unfortunate case, where an action filter cannot control the hierarchy view in the table -> I would want to restrict that when all regions (global view) are selected on map chart and if user selects units in the drop down, the chart should still show groups since there is no real estate to fit in all the units of each region on the dashboard.

Note: the map charts controls several others charts on the dashboard filtered by region/global view

• 14. Re: Is map drill down is possible in single map
                                    Gabe DeWitt

Hi Tanvi,

Have you tried following Ryan's Map Drill down dashboard example?

The best help I can provide (without having your actual data/workbook) is to download Ryan example workbook, and break it...figure out how each piece works, and then use that understanding to build out your need. Every time I make this effect in a dashboard it takes me a little while of tweaking the filters and actions to make it all work. This technique for achieving this effect is not straight forward, but if you compare what you're doing in your file directly to Ryan's dashboard, I promise you can get it to work.

After you get your maps working, to get your other tables to filter based off of the the user selection on the maps, you'll need to play around with the filter actions. I had luck with this by specifying a 'Target Filter' field at the bottom of the 'Edit Filter Actions' panel. In my case I made two additional actions filters to filter my tables off of my map selections... one that filtered everything on selection with "STATE" as my Target filter action, and the other action was set up on the next level down of "Congressional Districts" (per the Target Filter).

Let me know if any of this helps.

1 2 Previous Next