2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2014 1:56 PM by Valerie Joyce

capture instances user clicked export to download pdf or image

Valerie Joyce

Is is possible to capture who and when clicked on the Export button to download a PDF or Image and the details they downloaded?

• 1. Re: capture instances user clicked export to download pdf or image
          Russell Christopher

Hey Valerie -

Possible, but not easy. You'll need to understand two things:

• A download occured: one of the system views (http_requests) in our meta data database records all interactions - so you'd scan this table for the fact that someone downloaded

• What the details were: This is hard. You'd need to capture the filters that have been put in place by the user previous to the download. This stuff is also in http_requests table, but you'd literally have to parse requests to pull the stuff out. Tricky.

Let's take a step back, shall we? Why are you doing this? What is the goal? There may be another approach.

• 2. Re: capture instances user clicked export to download pdf or image
            Valerie Joyce

Thanks Russell.

We figured it may be complicated to capture something like this.

Just wanted to confirm because the reason it came up was a manager at our company asked if I could give him a list

of employees who have exported one of our dashboards to a PDF and if so what data they exported.

We released our first dashboard recently and management is trying to get a feel for who has been using it

and what customers they are viewing.  One of the steps the employees are supposed to do is print out the

dashboard page and share information with our customers.

I told him I could probably get him basic information of what users have logged in but anything further than

that could be difficult.

Thanks again,

Valerie