3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2014 11:12 AM by Shawn Wallwork

Stop auto sort

. Bpoirier

I have a list of 275+ part numbers that i am using in a filter...I do not want Tableau to sort my results by the product number since I have to export the results back to the original spreadsheet in the exact order that the part numbers are in on that sheet...hope that makes sense...how do I tell Tableau NOT TO SORT the results ?....any ideas ??

• 1. Re: Stop auto sort
          Shawn Wallwork

Probably the best way is to go into your data source (Excel?) and add an index column. Then put the new index field on the Row shelf first, then build your viz. If you don't want the index field to show uncheck the Show Header on the index pill.

--Shanw

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Stop auto sort
            . Bpoirier

Shawn, thanks for the quick response...my issue is that the pricing file is in SQL and the list of parts is coming from an excel sheet...I am unsure if there is a way to connect an excel file into a query where I'm accessing data from a SQL server...

• 3. Re: Stop auto sort
              Shawn Wallwork

So data connection #1 is to a SQL Server, and data connection #2 is to an Excel spreadsheet. Then you are blending these together in a single worksheet. Is this correct? Which is the primary data source? Take a screenshot of the entire screen including the entire Tableau window. We will then be able to see the sort. Then if you will explain what sort you are looking for, we should be able to give better advice.

--Shawn