2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2014 2:59 AM by Julius

Tableau Server (DB) PostgreSQL Trigger not working.

Thit Lwin Oo

Hi

I have some issue not working in the process of overriding workbook/sheets permission for user group/users.

When user publish any workbook, can choose any usergroup / users to that published workbook.

I have list of permission matrix Workbook/Sheets vs User.

After user publish workbook, I want to override permission list just after workbook is published.

In this case, I wrote after insert trigger function on next_gen_permissions.

Trigger function simply delete user selected permissions and update permission list maintained.

There is no error after publish workbook, but just not working these trigger function (delete and insert next_gen_permissions).

Any idea?

• 1. Re: Tableau Server (DB) PostgreSQL Trigger not working.
          Russell Christopher

Hello!

Since directly modifying Tableau's workgroup database in PostgreSQL is not supported, it's not likely you'll get tons of help here. I'd suggest you hit a PostGreSQL discussion group with this question - you'll probably get more traction.

• 2. Re: Tableau Server (DB) PostgreSQL Trigger not working.
            Julius

Thit,

I have to ask why you are doing this. Permissions cannot be managed by code alone, or worse trying to do a back-end sql update to the permission schema. First of all,  you can't simply write a trigger to update the table 'next_gen_permissions' because it has a cascading relationship to many other tables. I'm thinking that you're probably put in a position where there isn't any governance or procedure but messing with the repository database has a bigger risk and isn't the answer. Work out a top-down design in your Tableau site: create Sites, then create Projects, then create Groups that you assign at the Project level or the Workbook level within Projects. Allow some projects to be user-managed, and some to be under change control. Let the organizational hierarchy enforce the security requirements but do your audits to show non-conformance, and eventually you'll establish a culture where hacking the repository workgroup database isn't the answer.