3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2014 8:29 AM by Matt Lutton

maximum values and associated fields

Derek Noble

Hi Guys,

been trying to think of a way to do this but my mind has no turned to mush.

What I want to do might be simple, well at least I am hoping so.

I am trying to get a list of maximum values for different measures but also include the dimensions that describe which entries these measures come from.

For example, lets say I want the maximum sales for all regions but I also want to display on this list the sales-person, their location and phone number. I dont want to have a list of all sales-people, just the max for a period and the sales-persons details.

thanks in advance.

Derek

• 1. Re: maximum values and associated fields
          Matt Lutton

If you can post a packaged workbook (.twbx) example along with a mockup of the end result you're looking for, I'm sure someone would be happy to help.  Its very difficult to describe a process for your problem without seeing the data and interacting with a workbook. 

• 2. Re: maximum values and associated fields
            Derek Noble

Good idea Matthew.

I have attached a small workbook with test data that explains what I want to do.

for each date I want to display ONLY the max sales figure and the name and region of the salesman who was responsible.

• 3. Re: Re: maximum values and associated fields
              Matt Lutton

ComputeUsing.png

Here's one possible solution (there are several ways you could approach this).

1) Created a calculated field: IF FIRST()==0 THEN WINDOW_MAX(Sum(Sales)) calc END

With the proper compute using settings (addressing on Date>Name>Region in that order), this will result in returning the maximum value per each date/name/region combination.  (see attached screenshot)

This leaves NULL values in the rest of the rows--so we can then create a filter like:

NOT ISNULL([WINDOW_MAX Sales])

And place that on the Filter shelf, set to "True".  The result should be the dates with the corresponding name, region, and corresponding maximum sales value.