3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2014 8:18 PM by Aaron Clancy

can't connect to tableau postgresql

Kyunghwan Choi

Hello,

I follow the directions here:

http://onlinehelp.tableausoftware.com/current/server/en-us/help.htm#adminview_postgres_access.htm%3FTocPath%3DAdministrator%20Guide|Work%20with%20the%20Server|Create%20Custom%20Administrative%20Views|_____1

But I cannot connect to the database. The error message is

My netstat doesn't show 8060 as a port that is being listened.

I also looked at this guide:

Resolving Connection Errors with Tableau Server's PostgreSQL Database | Tableau Software

But here, I don't even have a connection type which has "PostgreSQL".

How can I fix this problem to retrieve historical user activity from tableau server?

I am running Tableau 8.1 64-bit and was trying to connect to the server from the same machine. I've also confirmed that the server is running.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: can't connect to tableau postgresql
          Aaron Clancy

Go check your tabsvc.yml file.

Default location is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Tableau\Tableau Server\config

look for:  pgsql.port: 8060

If that doesn't say 8060 then try to connect from Tableau with whatever port it does say.

If the port isn't set to 8060 I would recommend taking the steps it takes to get it back to 8060 just for consistency.

Steps:

Open Command Prompt as an Administrator

Navigate to Tableau Server bin directory

Issue the following commands:

tabadmin stop

tabadmin set <port setting name> -d   (you will need to provide a list of the ports to change, one per line)

tabadmin configure

tabadmin start

• 2. Re: can't connect to tableau postgresql
            Kyunghwan Choi

Thank you. It said something else. Weird because I never changed it. I can now connect from local and remote machines.

• 3. Re: can't connect to tableau postgresql
              Aaron Clancy

No problem.  Tableau will automatically change it on startup if it detects the port is already in use at the time which can be caused by a number of reasons.  The most likely is that the tabsvc was killed.  Tableau will start up again while 8060 is still listening from the previous session so it will grab another available port.