3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2014 11:53 AM by Shawn Wallwork

secondary blending

Kevin Sluder

Will Tableau support secondary level of blending?

Data table A blends with data table B via column 1.  Table B blends with table C via column 2.  Can I then use column 3 from Table C in a visualization with table A as the Primary Data Source?

I am doing an evaluation of Tableau vs competing products and this is an important capability.

Thanks

• 1. Re: secondary blending
          Shawn Wallwork

Yes. Probably. But the values coming in from the secondary data sources will need to be aggregated. Also be aware that Tableau allows you to join tables into one table using:

1. Multiple Tables connection
          2. Custom SQL

What software are you comparing Tableau to?

--Shawn

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: secondary blending
            Kevin Sluder

Thanks Shawn,

Evaluating the usual suspects.

I added two attachments with trivial datasets to demo the challenge.  If the separate tables reside in one excel file I can do a join on import.  If they are not, there is no way to join.  And I haven't been able to get the Prices to pass all the way up to Items using a blending approach.

Am I missing something?

• 3. Re: secondary blending
              Shawn Wallwork

Kevin Sluder wrote:

Thanks Shawn,

Evaluating the usual suspects.

I added two attachments with trivial datasets to demo the challenge.  If the separate tables reside in one excel file I can do a join on import.  If they are not, there is no way to join.  And I haven't been able to get the Prices to pass all the way up to Items using a blending approach.

Am I missing something?

And the usual suspects are? And they do what you want them to do?

You are correct, if Excel is your data source all the data will need to be in the same workbook to be blended. Working with other databases like MS SQL Server joins can be more robust.

--Shawn