3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2014 6:56 AM by Qin Chen

Conditional Formatting Data to Percentage Style

Qin Chen

Hi Guys,

New to here and I have a formatting question conditionally on some of data. Please refer to the attachment for Tableau workbook file.

Basically we wanna "%Share of Voice" to be Percentage number instead of decimal number. However, as "%Share of Voice" is string value under [Metric] column, Tableau won't let me simply formatting it to percentage.

Could you help me to solve this issue without transposing or pivoting table? (creating a new measure/parameter is cool to me)

If it could not be done without transposing, could you show me how to use custom SQL in editing data connection window? I always got error

Thanks,

A Noobie

• 1. Re: Conditional Formatting Data to Percentage Style
          Qin Chen

I sort of resolving the issue but still not perfect. Since I can't put a percentage number as float but only as string. Then there will be "Abc" on table view.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Conditional Formatting Data to Percentage Style
            Phillip Burger

Hi, Qin. Welcome to the Tableau forum!  It's a friendly community and you can feel comfortable posing questions.

The attached workbook contains a solution. Transposing your data set was required. This is the way to handle problem you pose. Here's an image of the solution that matches how you want to display the % Share of Voice:

I really do think the best way to approach this problem is to transpose your data set. Now that it's reshaped, every value in the Percent column now represents a percent, every value in Sales represents a sales amount, and every value in the Visits columns represents a number of visits.

Take a look at the workbook. If you have any follow up questions about the workbook, reply back. If this solves your problem, please mark the question as answered. :-)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Conditional Formatting Data to Percentage Style
              Qin Chen

Hi Phil

Thanks for your reply. It solved my problem and that's what I suggested to clients before. However, due to the volume of dataset plus clients' requirement, they still wanna to keep as previous format. (before they wanna further creating new calculate field based on original Column Variables [Change], [Previous], [Current])

Thanks for your answer

Qin