3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2014 5:33 PM by Phillip Burger

Overlaying graphs

Reid Stiller

Hi all-

I've been scouring the forum for hours and found similar questions, yet am still at a loss on how to achieve the graphing effect I'm going for.  I have a line graph of quarterly trending data, on which I'm trying to lay two other lines for comparison, which are percentiles of the global population.  Essentially, I just need to combine the three panes in the attached workbook so that they are on the same axes.  In Excel, this is rather simple by adding a new data series to the chart (the attached image is what I'm trying to create in Tableau).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Reid

• 1. Re: Overlaying graphs
          Joshua Milligan

Reid,

Would you be able to re-post your workbook after saving it as a packaged workbook (.twbx)?  As it is now, it does not include your Excel document, so no one will be able to open it.  Did you receive a warning when you uploaded?

Regards,

Joshua

• 2. Re: Re: Overlaying graphs
            Reid Stiller

Here it is, Josh, thanks.  No warning on the original upload.

• 3. Re: Overlaying graphs
              Phillip Burger

Hi, Reid. The attached workbook contains a solution, also shown in the image below.

A couple of things that you'll need to think about as you move more into Tableau. Your data is won't be useable to solve this problem in Tableau in the shape that it's in in the example file.You will need to reshape your data. You can use the Tableau Excel addin-in to reshape the data that is explained here. I included an Excel file, too, so you can see the before and after reshaping and to help you get going. Once you get the hang of reshaping, it takes only a few seconds to do.

The second item I noticed is the dates. I recommend using date values that are complete. I'm sure there is a ninja way to get Tableau to recognize Q1 '11 as a date instead of a string. But, in the meantime, I'd use commonly recognizable values for dates such as July 1, 2011. A big advantage is that you'll have more options available to you to explore and visualize your data.. 

percentiles-reshaped-data-137886.png

There are many missing values in the data. This accounts for the 25th percentiles being on the axis for some quarters..

Also, these are 25 and 75 percentiles. This video linked here discusses support for percentile aggregations and should get you going.