5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2014 3:45 AM by Manas Ranjan Kar

How to make a table comparing a result with multiple target values?

adam.medcalf

Hi all,

I am trying to make a simple (text) table to show how a set of measures (e.g. sales, costs, promotions) compares to multiple targets set.

The first column should contain the actual result gained, and the next 3 should be that result as a percentage difference of target 1, target 2 and target 3 respectively. It would look like this:

Capture2.GIF.gif

I am looking for advice as to the best way to do that in Tableau. It seems an obvious request but the only reliable way I found so far is to create 4 different reports, one for each column, and glue them together in a dashboard to make them look a bit like they are the same table! I’m sure this cannot be the best way though, and it also falls apart when the dashboard is resized…what I really want is 1 single report, or as few as possible.

It seems that if I wanted to compare all the targets to the actual that would be easy, a % difference table calculation derived from type = “actual”. But how to do it the other way around, expressing the actual as a %difference from the targets?

The source data looks like this:

Capture.GIF.gif

Attached a workbook with the data embedded in.

Thanks for any assistance.

Adam