Thank you for this. Everything isn't "set up right" until you have enabled a schedule. Same happened to me and I am over it.
Self-help is the best. Good job, Sam.
Hi Rick, further to this... as I am still having challenges... I've learned that if a subscription is triggered yet there is a problem with it, (ie the email address is bad or missing), the subscription creates a log jam in server preventing all subsequent subscriptions from running. I have checked my backgrounder at times and found days worth of subscriptions jammed up all because one got stuck. This has got so frustrating that I've created a daily 6am subscription to myself just to know that the queue is processing.
I'm heading to the Vegas partner conference tomorrow and hopefully will get this resolved.
I did not include the fact that I cannot use subscriptions as my company email uses SSL and that format is not supported by Tableau yet. Scripts are built doing the job of subscrptions. I am in no rush for 8.1 and the apparent problems triggered by the "#" appendage reported in the forum.
Have fun in Vegas but don't tell anybody.