There are three methods available to help with moving workbooks from one Tableau Server environment to another:
1. Manually downloading and re-publishing workbooks via Tableau Desktop.
2. Exporting workbooks and re-publishing via tabcmd command line utility.
- The following tabcmd commands can be used:
a. tabcmd export
b. tabcmd publish
- See http://onlinehelp.tableausoftware.com/current/server/en-us/help.htm#tabcmd_cmd.htm#tabcmd_Commands for more information.
3. Creating a backup of Tableau Server and then restoring the backup to the new instance using the --no-config option (restoring data but not configuration settings).
- Back Up the Tableau Data: http://onlinehelp.tableausoftware.com/current/server/en-us/help.htm#db_backup.htm
- Restore from a Backup: http://onlinehelp.tableausoftware.com/current/server/en-us/help.htm#db_restore.htm
Please note that if a restore is done, any existing workbooks on the production Tableau Server will be overwritten. Additionally, if the authentication method or domain changes from one Tableau Server to the next, there will be extra (unlicensed) users associated with the workbook and data sources until they are re-published.
Hope this helps!
Is there any limitation to option two with data sources, embedded id / passwords from Dev to UAT?
Data sources will remain exactly the same.
However, after publishing to UAT you can use the REST API Update Datasource Connection function, in order to update the server address, port, username, or password.
Hope that helps! :-)
Update Datasource Connection