10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2017 8:45 AM by Ranadheer Kovvuri

Running Total

Manish Kumar

Hi,

I am trying to calculate the running total with Measure Values on the Rows shelf and Measure Names ont the Columns Shelf. When I right click the Measure Values I don't get the option to calculate the running total. Is there a work around.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Running Total
          Matt Lutton

Right click on the pill for the field you actually want to calculate a Running Total on, rather than the Measure Values pill:

RunningTotal MeasureValues.png

You could also write a calculated field manually.

• 2. Re: Running Total
            Manish Kumar

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for your suggestion. When I right click on the pill I do get the option to calculate the running total. But it calculates the running total only for the field. What I am looking for is to calculate the running total across the table. So for example, if the first histogram has a value of 100 and the second has a value of -10, the second histogram should be replaced by 90 with the running total calculation.

• 3. Re: Running Total
              Matt Lutton

You'll need to post a packaged workbook with some sample data (.twbx file) and a clear description of what you want as an end result (mock up would be great).  Thanks and best of luck!

• 4. Re: Re: Running Total
                Manish Kumar

I am attaching the packaged workbook of the sample data. The dataset had customer IDs and five flags. The flag is set to 1 if a customer belongs to a category and 0 otherwise. The end goal is to create a waterfall chart that sequentially reduces the customer count by the sum of the flag. I hope was able to describe what I am trying to achieve.

• 5. Re: Re: Re: Running Total
                  Matt Lutton

Manish: You are having trouble because of the structure of your data.  Typically, a running total is computed on one field, across dimensions (like a date field, for example).  In your case, you want to start with the Count of IDs, and then subtract the sum of your flag counts.  So, to do this, I simply edited your calculations for "sum_flag1_neg", "sum_flag2_neg", etc. to be: sum_flag1_neg: [Count ID]-sum(flag1) sum_flag2_neg: [sum_flag1_neg]-sum(flag2) And so on... Let me know if this is what you wanted:

Running Total.png

8.1 workbook attached.

• 6. Re: Re: Re: Running Total
                    Manish Kumar

Matthew,

With your calculation I was able to get the running total. In order to create the waterfall, one final step is left i.e. to resize the gantt bar with negative values. This would have been possible by placing the negative of the field on the size marks. Since I don't have one single field, its posing a problem. Is there a work around?

Thanks

• 7. Re: Re: Re: Running Total
                      Matt Lutton

I do not know what you mean or want.  A mock up would help.

• 8. Re: Re: Re: Running Total
                        Manish Kumar

Matthew,

I am trying to create a waterfall chart with the given data where the count of Cust_ID is sequentially reduced by the sum of the flags. Given the data orientation its not as straight forward as some of the videos on waterfall charts. Given the data, is it possible to create a waterfall chart.

Thanks

• 9. Re: Re: Re: Running Total
                          Matt Lutton

Sorry, but I do not know because I don't understand what you want the final view to look like.

• 10. Re: Running Total
                            Ranadheer Kovvuri

Hello Manish,

Did you find a solution?, i am on a similar requirement to create a waterfall chart with measure values.If you happen to find a solution please post it here.

Thanks

Rana