1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 23, 2014 10:03 AM by Tracy Rodgers

Representing Data Lineage

gioel.molinari

Hello,

I have a question about how to best model and display data lineage in Tableau. By this I mean the ability to do drill-down on a given measure or dimension value in to trace where the value came from. For example, suppose I want to model a income statement or multiple different financial statements that were dependant on each other. If at the 'root' level I have something like "Profit or Loss", that number will have been calculated (outside of Tableau) as "Income - Expenditures - Taxes". I would like to be able to be able to unpack or trace any measure or field name in this way.

The way that I have seen it done typically is as a table with expand/collapse rows and links to other tables. I tried to model the relationships using a simple "Lineage Column" in my underlying data set as shown in the below link. Any other visualization ideas? A tree viz would be one that would be very handy in this case. It seems like Tableau doesn't really support this kind of thing that well.

http://www.ferdychristant.com/blog//articles/DOMM-7QJPM7

Here is what I've been able to do so far with some hacks to the standard table

Workbook: Nesting

any ideas or similar workbooks are appreciated! Being able to represent lineage well will then allow for good navigation between a network of dashboards in Tableau I think.