7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2014 12:13 PM by Matt Lutton

Tableau 8.1 Folder Organization

Marc Hunt

I love the fact that we can now organize our data within folders in 8.1.  Does anyone know if there is a way to nest folders within other folders or manually rearrange items within a folder?  I love the folders, but need a little bit more flexibility when working with large datasets.

• 1. Re: Tableau 8.1 Folder Organization
          Matt Lutton

I don't believe you can nest folders within each other.

To rearrange items after folders are created, right click on a field and choose>>Add to Folder>>[Choose Folder You Want To Add To]

• 2. Re: Tableau 8.1 Folder Organization
            Marc Hunt

Thanks Matthew.  I'm wanting to rearrange the items I've already added within the folder.  For example, if I have a "Locations" folder, I may want Location Number to be listed first rather than sort alphabetically.

• 3. Re: Tableau 8.1 Folder Organization
              Matt Lutton

I don't believe you can do this within Tableau.  There may be an unsupported way to do it, by editing the XML of the workbook file, but I'm not sure--and that is UNSUPPORTED--any issues that result from editing the XML will not be supported by Tableau, so if you run into any issues, you're on your own.

Oddly, you can move items around in a hierarchy, but not within a folder.  I'd contact support and/or create an Idea for it in the Ideas section of the forum, if one doesn't already exist (I didn't look).

• 4. Re: Tableau 8.1 Folder Organization
                Russell Christopher

Matt, have you tried this?

• 5. Re: Tableau 8.1 Folder Organization
                  Matt Lutton

If you mean editing the XML, no I have not, and I have no idea if it is even possible. 

• 6. Re: Tableau 8.1 Folder Organization
                    Matt Lutton

I did just try it, and it does work.  In the XML, you'll see snippets of code like:

<folder name='Financial' role='measures'>

<folder-item name='[F: Deposit interest rate (%)]' type='field' />

<folder-item name='[F: GDP (curr $)]' type='field' />

<folder-item name='[F: GDP per capita (curr $)]' type='field' />

<folder-item name='[F: Lending interest rate (%)]' type='field' />

<folder-item name='[Calculation1]' type='field' />

<folder-item name='[Calculation_1590906174513693]' type='field' />

<folder-item name='[Calculation_8570907072742130]' type='field' />

</folder>

Simply rearranging the list will result in a re-arrangement of the fields within a folder.

AGAIN THIS IS AN UNSUPPORTED "HACK", AND TABLEAU SUPPORT WILL NOT BE ABLE TO HELP YOU IF EDITING THE XML RESULTS IN A WORKBOOK ERROR OR PROBLEM OF ANY KIND!

Let me do some more testing... I thought it was working, but now I'm not so sure...

• 7. Re: Tableau 8.1 Folder Organization
                      Matt Lutton

Disregard my previous message, re-arranging the XML code does NOT result in a re-arraignment of the fields in the data window inside Tableau Desktop 8.1.