Can you explain why this must be a push from the data layer to the business layer? If it must be a push, Step B2 won't work because it'll be Tableau requesting data from the data layer.
The following process could work for you:
- In the data network, create an extract against your data source using the Tableau Extract API
- Have a batch process which copies the TDE over to the business network
- In the business network, have a data source which points at the TDE
- Pubish the data source
Your refresh would look like this:
- Tableau Extract API re-creates the extract above using the same file name∫
- "New" version of the file is copied to the business network where it replaces the old one
- On the business network, use TabCmd Publish to re-publish the data source (which is now pointing at the "new" extract)...doing so will cause the extract to be re-published, as well.
Thanks Russell for your response. I understand that pushing data from one layer (data layer) to another layer (business network) should be done through a custom application (batch process). It seems that in the same (or a similar kind of application) I need to periodically create the extract (for incremental data) using Tableau Extract API. i.e. the application run ever 12 hours (via windows scheduler) extracts data (inreamental) and then pushed to the business network. Is there any sample code available for this or help document that guides how to use Tableau Extract API for such scenarios.
The Extract API comes with sample code when you download it — so you’re set