8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2014 5:05 AM by Russell Christopher

Tableau chewing up CPU resources (even when Tableau is closed)

Louis Keating

Hey all,

Thought I'd ask here before I lodged a support ticket.

My pc has been struggling massively. The CPU usage is spiking reguarly to 90+% even when Tableau is closed. See the screenshot below.

Tableau Server Usage.png

Has anyone come across this? Why is this stuff running in the background?

Cheers,

Lucas

• 1. Re: Tableau chewing up CPU resources (even when Tableau is closed)
          Toby Erkson

Ahem...DETAILS!

What version?  What bitness (32 or 64)?  What schedules are happening (extracts, subscriptions)?  Are people logged in?  No idea what you mean by "...Tableau is closed" since the server is always on...???  How much RAM?  How many CPUs?  How are your processes per server set up (see Tableau Server Configuration)?

Server has what I call a heart beat.  A regular blip on the Task Manager:terkson - Monday, January 13, 2014 7_54_45 AM - stnaicvdw001 - Remote Desktop Connection.bmp

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tableau chewing up CPU resources (even when Tableau is closed)
            Russell Christopher

Depending on the answers to Toby's questions, you may well just want to updatede to 8.1.3 - There was an issue which (may) match your description which was fixed there.

• 3. Re: Tableau chewing up CPU resources (even when Tableau is closed)
              Louis Keating

Apologies Toby. I thought I'd ask the question at a top level in the hope that it was a common issue that could be solved regardless of version/pc specs etc.

What version?

Just updated to 8.1.3

What bitness (32 or 64)?

What schedules are happening (extracts, subscriptions)?

None (to my knowledge >_<)

Are people logged in?

No. I'm the only user

No idea what you mean by "...Tableau is closed" since the server is always on...???

Yea I now understand that the server is always running in the background. What are the implications of turning it off? All the processes seem to be Server related so maybe that's a solution. Can they be easily turned on when I want to use Tableau again.

How much RAM?

8GB

How many CPUs?

How are your processes per server set up (see Tableau Server Configuration)?

VizQL Server: 2

Application Server:2

Background Tasks:1

Data Server:2

Data Engine:1

Does that help?

It's much more than a heart beat. It's spiking a few times a minute to 100% cpu usage.

Thanks,

Lucas

• 4. Re: Tableau chewing up CPU resources (even when Tableau is closed)
                Russell Christopher

Louis, what specific services (backgrounder, vizqlserver, data server, etc.) are consistently hitting the CPU when there are no users on the system (and how can you tell that no users are in Tableau?)

There are lots of processes that run on a regular basis regardless of whether a user is active on the box or not. The backgrounder is constantly doing things like refreshing extracts, cleaning up sessions, reaping old extracts, and so on.

Depending on how fast your box is at these processes, I could see that this might occur...It all really depends, though.

• 5. Re: Tableau chewing up CPU resources (even when Tableau is closed)
                  Toby Erkson

Thanks for the details.  Hummmmm.....I don't know.  Could it be an OS thing?  We're running 8.1.3 on Windows Server 2008 R2 with 4 CPUs and while we get the heartbeats several times a minutes as well, they only hit 15%-25% CPU utilization.  The only time when they hit 90%+ when idle is after a bad upgrade.  If that's the case then ya gotta remove everything Tableau (I do mean every...thing!) and re-install.

You may want to contact Tableau Support and get their help.  If you do, please come back and tell us the solution so others can learn

• 6. Re: Tableau chewing up CPU resources (even when Tableau is closed)
                    Louis Keating

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the great responses. I fixed the problem temporarily by simply pressing the 'Stop Tableau Server' button. Maybe I don't need Tableau Server running at all...

We don't actually use Tableau Server. We use Desktop and Online. I thought I needed Tableau Server running to upload the workbooks to online.tableausoftware.com. Perhaps I don't need it running at all?

I'm expecting to cop some abuse for being a rookie and wasting all your time now

• 7. Re: Tableau chewing up CPU resources (even when Tableau is closed)
                      Toby Erkson

Well, I have no idea about Tableau Online buuuuuut I'm guessing telling us that initially would've saved everyone some time...that was a detail you left out

However, it's still curious why it's doing what it's doing.  Just sitting there by it's lonesome doing [essentially] nothing shouldn't cause what you saw...unless there's more you're not telling us

• 8. Re: Tableau chewing up CPU resources (even when Tableau is closed)
                        Russell Christopher

Tableau Online actually IS Tableau Server – just living in the cloud rather than on your hardware. You can safely uninstall Server and get some disk space back ☺