2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2014 7:38 AM by Matt Lutton

Suggestion to Question Posters...

Shawn Wallwork

Suggestion: Make the very first line of your question read/say/indicate:

"In the attached 8.1 (8.0, 7.0) workbook..."

This tells us helpers you've attached a workbook (which is the most critical determining factor in our making a decision as to whether your question will get get our attention.)

You will almost certainly attract more helpers to your question if you post a sample workbook, and state that fact upfront.

--Shawn

• 1. Re: Suggestion to Question Posters...
          Craig Mullins

thanks for this constructive suggestion!

whatever solicits the best and quickest response is smart.

• 2. Re: Suggestion to Question Posters...
            Matt Lutton

7 months ago, I was kind-of against this mindset.  However, after several months of trying to solve forum problems, there are far too many cases where a sample workbook could easily be created using the Superstore sample data provided with Tableau.  However, I think the main problem is new users are not sure how to do this, and it can take them a very long time to replicate something using sample data--and there is no documentation/guidance available to them--so, they only learn by practice and experience.

But I digress, and whole-heartedly agree now, that we need packaged workbooks (as well as mockups, clear descriptions of the problem, and a note about which version you're using) to help you in most cases!