6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2017 9:22 AM by Kelly Penhall-Wilson

Is there a way to display the unsummarized, raw data on a worksheet in table form?

Bryan Keller

I would like to display some raw tablular data on a worksheet. I do not want to pivot or summarize on anything, just show the data in a table. I tried doing this by placing all of the fields in the "Rows" section of the worksheet as dimensions. I left the "Columns" section blank. This method seems to place all of the values in the row header and creates a dummy column with "Abc" values, and only allows scrolling of the dummy column, not the row header.

Is there a better approach for displaying raw data on a worksheet in a table?

• 1. Re: Is there a way to display the unsummarized, raw data on a worksheet in table form?
          Aaron Clancy

Not really what Tableau is for, but, everything always circles back to "it depends."  If you want to see raw data, the arrangement of pills on can be set up different ways.  There's a limit to how many dimensions Tableau will show as a "header."  Default is 6, max is 16.  As long as the lowest level of detail, or a combination of dimensions identifies a single record and only a single record then your measures won't be aggregated values, hence, raw data.  In regards to your last question, throwing a ton or rows/columns on to a cross tab visualization is very heavy load on Tableau.  If you start with an aggregated table/chart that gives you insight as to what you should be looking for at the raw data level then you can use that sheet as a filter to populate your "raw data" sheet with only the values left after you've filtered (drilling down).  If all you need is a giant cross tab of data then Tableau is definitely not the tool you should be using.

• 2. Re: Is there a way to display the unsummarized, raw data on a worksheet in table form?
            Bryan Keller

It seems this would be a nice feature to add. Tableau already has the ability to display raw data, just not on a worksheet. (By the way, I am using Tableau for much, much more than this one report.)

• 3. Re: Is there a way to display the unsummarized, raw data on a worksheet in table form?
              Aaron Clancy

Sorry I should have qualified. "Tableau is not the tool you should be using for this specific need."  Of course you should be using for pretty much everything else :-)

And I agree it might be a nice feature request to have a "view underlying data" in a sheet as opposed to a new tab or popup.

• 4. Re: Is there a way to display the unsummarized, raw data on a worksheet in table form?
                Phillip Burger

Here are a couple of tips that might help. After clicking on the text tables in Show Me, drag the Measure Names to the Columns and one or more dimensions to the Rows

If you can create a hierarchy from some of your dimensions, that really helps. You can then drag the hierarchy to the rows and expand and shrink the hierarchy to change the table view of your data. It's a nice feature.

A couple of other tips are in the View Data. There is a column sort available by default if you click on the column title. When testing the data in a viz, selecting the top-left corner of the View Data, and then the Copy button, you grab the data into a buffer and can then paste it into another application. I find that the data pastes from the buffer real nice into a spreadsheet tool's worksheet and into text editors.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Is there a way to display the unsummarized, raw data on a worksheet in table form?
                  Chris Coates

I have the same issue, but have applied the following workaround for a small selection of records that I wanted the details on. Examples are from an outage report I'm designing. As mentioned in other posts, the tooltips showed me much of what I wanted, but I didn't find them all that convenient, and the ability to drill to the "show full data" dialog as a separate sheet (especially with customizable columns) would be very close to what I wanted also, but that doesn't exist.

1) Create a calculated field called "Labels" that is the "label" for your field, concatenated to the field, concatenated to a carriage return along these lines:

"Incident Number: " + STR([Incident Nr]) + CHAR(13) +

"-----------------------------------------------------" + CHAR(13) +

"Platform: " + STR([Platform]) + CHAR(13) +

"Service: " + STR([Service]) + CHAR(13) +

"Type of Outage: " + STR([Type Of Outage]) + CHAR(13) +

"Incident Description: " + STR([Incident Descr]) + CHAR(13) +

"Start Date: " + STR([Start Date]) + CHAR(9) + " End Date: " + STR([End Date]) + CHAR(13) +

"Total Incident Duration: " + STR(([Duration Minutes])) + " Minutes" + CHAR(13) +

"Customers Impacted: " + STR([Customer Impacted]) + CHAR(13) +

"Business Impact: " + STR([Business Impact]) + CHAR(13)

2) create a treemaps visualization and drop in the unique identifier for your record to create the individual boxes. Then drop in your new "Labels" field to the "Label" text. Format the treemap so it's nice to read, and appears as if it's a large text box. I've used the "Count Distinct Unique ID" as the measure to ensure all the boxes appear the same size.

3) Data-mine/filter as usual (I ultimately only select one or two records)

Multiple records appear side by side. A large number of records would start to look odd though.

I hope this is of some inspiration.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Is there a way to display the unsummarized, raw data on a worksheet in table form?
                    Kelly Penhall-Wilson

Inspired! This looks promising, thank you for sharing!