5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2014 7:16 AM by Aaron Clancy

How to graph with aggregated values

Ling Li

Going on from my question here: http://community.tableau.com/thread/137441

If I now try to graph additional data, (see attached), if you look at the sheets: "ExcludingTier" and "IncludingTier", you will notice that the Y axis changes, simply by the addition of the "Tier" dimension. How can I correct/make the sheet ExcludingTier have the same/correct scale as per the 2nd sheet? When in a table view you can specify how you wish to sum the totals, but there doesn't appear to be a feature like this when drawing graphs?

(my actual data contains many tiers and job_names, so I can't add this to the graph as it takes tableau ages to render). Ideally for my averaging function I would like to be able to supply keys/dimensions on how the averaging calculation should be calucated and summed up.

I'm assuming that this maybe a new feature request for Tableau?

• 1. Re: How to graph with aggregated values
          Matt Lutton

I'm having a really hard time understanding your problem/question.  Perhaps you can rephrase?

• 2. Re: Re: How to graph with aggregated values
            Ling Li

Hi,

Please see the 2 screen shots. If you look at the Y axis in each of the shots you will see that the numbers are different, however the only difference between the 2 sheets is thta one includes the  dimension "Tier" and the other does not. The totals in both cases should be the same. In ExcludingTier sheet, I would expect to see the total of  ~9k(as a can be seen in the IncludingTier chart).

Ling

• 3. Re: How to graph with aggregated values
              Aaron Clancy

An Area Chart will always sum values visually.  You are summing averages.  For example:

if you have 10 people with test scores averaging 95%  then you have one level of detail at .95.

If you decide to graphically represent test score averages of men and women then you get two values (Hypothetically 91% and 98% distribution isn't relevant) With an area chart you are now representing .91 + .98 getting a total axis of 1.89.  You can't ask what you're asking with an area chart and expect to get your desired result.  Is there another way you would want to represent multiple averages?

• 4. Re: How to graph with aggregated values
                Ling Li

To better describe the problem. If you look at the data, for a given day a "Job_Name" can appear more than once, if this is the case then I would like to take the average time it took to run that job for that day. I would then like to plot for each day the total/sum of the average times it took to run each of the jobs defined in "Job_Names".

In the example data, for the 6th, there are 4 jobs:

A, this was run twice with run times of 3010+3012 so average is 3011

C, this was run once with time of 3120

D this was run once with time of 3040

So the total time take to run all 3 jobs is 9171.

However when you plot this in a graph the total is calculated as the avg(3010+3012+3120+3040)=3045.5 which is not displaying the same information as 9171.

Basically I was to view a graph of total time take to run jobs as opposed to the average run time of all jobs.

• 5. Re: How to graph with aggregated values
                  Aaron Clancy

You didn't even mention Tier in the last post so Im just going to leave it out of the conversation for now.

Is your question:  How to get the sum of A,C,D's averages displayed on a single area chart?

Screen Shot 2014-01-10 at 9.13.32 AM.png