11 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2014 6:59 AM by Zac Hilbert

Interpreting performance recording

Swathi C

Is there any way to figure out the internal names of calculated fields? I was making a series of changes to my workbook and it became slow suddenly. I used performance recording to figure out what was going on and discovered that the following query took 18 seconds to execute when it was taking a few seconds before:

(restrict

(aggregate

(select

(project

(table [Extract].[Extract])

(

([none:Calculation_4451204104717709:nk]

(+

(+

(monthname [cal_date])

" ")

I don't know which variable 'Calculation_4451204104717709' refers to. Can somebody help me understand this query?

Unfortunately, I cannot share my workbook to debug this issue due to the sensitive nature of the data involved.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Interpreting performance recording
          Ramon Martinez

Hello Swathi,

I don't have an answer to your question but I have a suggestion for you: try the Tableau Software Performance Analyzer Tableau Software Performance Analyzer | InterWorks, Inc.

I'm sure that this toll will help you to find the problem.

Best regards,

Ramon

• 2. Re: Interpreting performance recording
            Venkata Krishna

Hi Swathi,

Also to add  to what Ramon has suggested 'Tableau Software Performance Analyzer' which is Interworks product works for v7.0 of Desktop only. If you are using v8.0 and above of Desktop tableau has it's own Performace Recording which can be  found by navigating from Help menu.

Venkata.

• 3. Re: Interpreting performance recording
              kettan

Hi Swathi,

Open the .twb file in a text editor such as Notepad ++ or Windows Notepad and search for name='[Calculation_4451204104717709].

When found, you should hopefully see the name of the formula on the left side of the same row beginning with caption='[The name visible in Tableau Desktop].

In case your Tableau format is not TWB but TWBX

If your file is in the .twbx format, you need to rename it with a .zip suffix and thereafter open the zip file, copy the .twb file, and paste the .twb file in a folder outside the zip file. Thereafter you open the .twb file with a text editor.

Jóhan a.k.a. Kettan

Ps. A .twb file doesn't include data and therefore not sensitive unless its metadata is sensitive, such as data source properties, names of calculated fields, hard coded texts,... or simply for common "copyright" reasons.

In your case it is probably no need to share it, because I believe my explanation will be is sufficient.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Interpreting performance recording
                Prem Reddy

Hi Kettan,

When trying to extract the queries from Performance recording dashboard I only find the trimmed one but not complete query and to find the complete query I assume we need to look into logs.

Are you aware of which logs to be looked into to extract complete query...?

I just wanted to extract the query run it against a database and check the time taken over DB side to execute the query and check the results with Tableau.

Can you help me to understand this...?

Thanks,

Paramesh

• 5. Re: Interpreting performance recording
                  Michel Cavas

I think there seems to be a miscommunication here? Kettan isn't saying to find the queries in Tableau desktop, but in the .twb/.twbx file. Just right click the file and open it with notepad or notepad++, and you should be able to follow through with the steps which Kettan provided. Or maybe I am misunderstanding now.

• 6. Re: Interpreting performance recording
                    kettan

Thanks for helping clarifying the issue.

It might be a misunderstanding, because even if the original question was titled Interpreting performance recording, it had little to do with performance recording. The only thing the questioner needed was the "human" name of the calculated field Calculation_4451204104717709 which the performance recorder returned.

• 7. Re: Interpreting performance recording
                      Zac Hilbert

Prem,

To get the full query, try this:

On the performance recording workbook, select a worksheet such as "Query".  Right Click on the Queries data source and select 'View data...'  If you copy the query you need from the grid, you should be able to past it into a text editor to get the whole query.  Keep in mind, that if your data sources are Tableau data extracts, you won't be able to run these queries on your database engine.  This only works if your workbook is using live connections to your data.

Zac

• 8. Re: Interpreting performance recording
                        Prem Reddy

Hi Zac,

Thank you for your response. But Pasting the query to text editor selected from View data I can only get the portion of the query been displayed but not complete query. PFB sample query for reference.

SELECT (CASE WHEN (("#tableau_9_context"."surv_year" = (CASE WHEN (CASE WHEN CURRENT_DATE IS NULL THEN CAST(NULL AS INTEGER) ELSE CAST(EXTRACT(MONTH FROM CURRENT_DATE) AS INTEGER) END = 1) THEN (CASE WHEN CURRENT_DATE IS NULL THEN CAST(NULL AS INTEGER) EL

Any further help is really appreciated. Thank you!

Regards,
                        Paramesh

• 9. Re: Interpreting performance recording
                          Zac Hilbert

Ahh. Now I remember running into this issue. I think what I did was opened up the log files and searched for the beginning of the query to find it. My log files are in C:\Users\******\Documents\My Tableau Repository\Logs (on Windows 7.)

You should be able to find the query, but each row will have log metadata at the beginning of it, so you'll need to clean up the text.

Zac

• 10. Re: Interpreting performance recording
                            Prem Reddy

Hi Zac,

Could you tell me do I need to create logs and then check for the query since upon opening the workbook and checking for query in the log file I couldn't find any. Can you tell me which specific date logs to be looked into...?

My performance recording workbook is of PROD environment and I'm opening the workbook using Tableau Desktop in PROD.

Thanks,

Paramesh

• 11. Re: Interpreting performance recording
                              Zac Hilbert

Tableau Desktop should be creating the logs automatically.  I usually open the workbook in Tableau Desktop, close Tableau and then go look in the logs folder at the most recent files. Note you shouldn't need performance recording on to see the query in the logs.

Good luck.