2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2013 2:25 PM by Shawn Wallwork

Sittin' on the dock of the bay....

Shawn Wallwork

OK, I know this isn't twitter, and it's not G+. And I know this is suppose to be a Q&A forum sort of space.... but come on, if we do the Dragnet thing ("Just the facts ma'am.") all the time, then we are in danger of becoming Tech Support! So I'm hoping you'll allow a bit of personality to creep in; or at least a bit of personal information to be posted here....

All things considered I had wonderful year this year, especially as it relates to Tableau. With the help of my forums friends I managed to pick up quite few one-off consulting gigs (thanks so much guys). I also picked up another long-term client because of the forums. Originally this company's HR sent me an email asking about consulting rates, etc. But when they realized I was in the US, they sent the "Sorry we didn't realize you were in the US..." email. I replied that I understood, and suggested several Tableau UK super-stars who might be able to help.

But then a strange thing happened. One of the client's team members had been on the forums and asked a question that I happened to pick up; and he said: That guy really helped me, we should give him a try. (I paraphrase). Not that this is a motivation for any of us, but every once in awhile our 'good deeds' come back to bite us in a good way. Maybe that's what this season, and this forum sharing is all about.

Cheers,

--Shawn

PS: Thank you Ali wherever you have now landed. Hope you find your way back to Tableau.

PPS: Dock of the bay? Well, that's exactly what I'm doing at the moment. In SF bay on a Ranger 29, planning a possible Napa trip. It's a bit chilly, but not too bad during the day. Any day on the water is a good one, so never mind any of the challenges.

• 1. Re: Sittin' on the dock of the bay....
          Joan Dalpe

A great post to read on a Monday morning!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Shawn - If you are just visiting the bay area, I hope you had a nice weekend.

I was a newbie to Tableau in 2013 and you've been a great help as I got acquainted with the platform. What fun it's been overall. I always look forward to reading your posts and expert solutions!

Happy New Year!

• 2. Re: Sittin' on the dock of the bay....
            Shawn Wallwork

Joan glad to have been of service. We've had great weather (for winter). Hope it holds for the rest of the two weeks we're here. At the moment we're at anchor in the Treasure Island cove. Looking out at the new bay bridge suspension spires, and the mystery Google Cube barge. (Pictures when we get back.)

Cheers,

--Shawn